random reboot help

jonostar 13:25 13 Jul 04

i have a windows 98se on a 128ram intel celeron computer .. processor 300hz..my computer just reboots and restarts only when im on the net.. i have a x5 connection with tiscali.. it can happen alot or a little...its totally raNDOM N VERY FRUSTRATING..help me please.. it never reboots when im off the net..

rawprawn 13:51 13 Jul 04

Have you tried running Ad-aware and Spybot ? to see if it is being caused by malware, also try Hijackthis and check the scan, but be careful what you delete.

rawprawn 13:51 13 Jul 04

Oops nearly forgot, try Ccleaner.

jonostar 14:03 13 Jul 04

i a novice n need taking throug the process please help

rawprawn 15:07 13 Jul 04

Ad-Aware click here
Ccleaner click here
Just download these freeware programs to your computer to a place you will remember such as Desktop,click to install them and then Update them (You will see how just click update) then run them. I will give you Spybot later

rawprawn 15:16 13 Jul 04

click here Do the same with Spybot. It,s not difficult but if you get stuck come back.

rawprawn 15:18 13 Jul 04

click here For Ad-aware it is a direct link to the page to save you looking for it.

rawprawn 15:24 13 Jul 04

I won't give you Hijackthis, it can be dangerous if you are not sure what you are doing

jonostar 15:54 14 Jul 04

i have done what u sed .. ran a spy and an adaware programs.. took off alot of files..what next

PhiltheFragger 15:57 14 Jul 04

Is your problem now fixed?

OK Computer 16:19 14 Jul 04

Sounds like a virus to be, not advertising software. Do you get a "your pc will reboot in 15 seconds" message?

I think it was the Sasser worm that rebooted peoples PC - "Uses the AbortSystemShutdown API to hinder the attempts to shut down or restart the computer."

Are you running any Anti Virus software?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…