Random Re-boots

ballu 10:16 17 Mar 04

Hi,
I am using WindowsXP Home and the machine randimly reboots, mainly on the internet but at any time, using Word etc.,sometimes even when I am not actually using it. After the reboot scan disk runs but not always. We run AVG anti virus, its clean, and Adware its clean.
Help, Help Please
Sue

anon1 10:34 17 Mar 04

How old is the machine? How much ram? Is the processor fan working properly. Has any modifications been done (extra ram eg) How long have you had the problem and did you make any changes recently to either hardware or software. Random faults are not the easiest to trace but it can be an indication of ram problems

The Spires 10:39 17 Mar 04

Are you using a ADSL USB modem?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:42 17 Mar 04

The feature for xp to reboot after an error can be turned off it can be a pain rebooting all the time Right click my comp select properties advanced then in the start up and recovery part at the bottom click settings then untick automatically restart.You may still get the errors but it wont restart and you may see what caused the error.

Regards.

daftdruid 11:07 17 Mar 04

Hi there,ballu.
You don`t say if you are getting an error message or not.If you are ,is it something on the lines of"This computer will close down in 1 minute." ? If so,go to Start>programs>run.Type "services.msc".When this loads up,scroll down to "remote procedure call(RPC)",right click for the properties list,and select "recovery".
In the three "failure" drop-down lists,select "take no action",select "apply", then close and exit to Windows.It sounds more complicated than it actually is, but I did this and have had no pepeat of the problem since.Hope this helps,
Paul

ballu 12:23 17 Mar 04

Thanks to all replys, the new input starts the brain working!
The machines about 2years old and has 512memory, fans seem seem OK. We have fitted a new graphics card but the problem was there before.
We have an ADSL modem, the problem was there before. The only error message I get is an Internet Explorer one. That does not appear to be associated. I'll give the remote proceedure a try. Thanks again Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…