Random frame rate drops while gaming

Howling Mad Murdock 14:58 12 Sep 10

This applys to all my games really. (Though I mostly play Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins & Call of Duty 4)

For 30 secs or so I get a random drops in my frame rates to the point they're unplayable. (Then returns to normal.) I got an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 card with the latest drivers. (version 258.96) I've tried re-installing them, even removed the GFX card from my device manager and re-installed it from scratch but that hasn't done the trick either.

Still getting the problem even after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I also tried lowering details, screen resoloution etc, but it doesn't stop the drops or change the duration of them. Even used the settings for my games the NVIDA control utility suggests.

Anyone with any other ideas on what to try next? It just one day started acting like this, used to run smoothly without any issues.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Quad Core Q9450 2.66Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR2-6400
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
Audio: On-board sound card

One thing I was able to pick up on, when my games run smoothly they approx take up 60-70% of the CPU in task manager. When I get the drops the CPU use for them goes up to 90%+. I tried running the games with all other programs closed (including AV) still getting the issue.

Anyone with other ideas?

c4rm0 17:27 12 Sep 10

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed. Also sometimes the latest drivers are not the best i would have a look in the click here forums to see which drivers are working best for your card

FPS drops / spikes in games is normally caused by AV programs but you say you have disabled them so that kind of rules that out

You say you have upgraded to Windows 7 from vista ? have you tried a fresh install ? as a gamer i always do a fresh install

i would suggest a defrag , check event logs on pc to see if there is any disk errors also what is your PSU like ? many FPS issues in games have been caused by PSU's not having enough wattage

Howling Mad Murdock 14:45 20 Sep 10

Thanks for the response.

I didn't do a fresh install of Windows as I simply have too much software for the trouble of having to re-install them all. I had this issue with Vista in any event.

I defrag every couple of weeks but I did it again anyway and still get it. I did check the event viewer and there is disk errors, there's 50 and they're all the same. "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2." Any idea what could be casuing that?

The last happening of this was 2 days ago. Played games today and had the frame drop.

PSU I got an 800w power supply. I know the card I have can be used for SLI but I only bought the one of them. So I think 800w would be enough?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…