Random DVD Drive problems.

delta36 22:13 28 Mar 07

Okay, I have a DVD/CD burner in my computer and I don't have any problems with reading/writing CD's or writing DVD's but I do have a problem with reading DVD's. It seems to be any type of DVD: Movie/Game/Data etc. The problem is intermittent, however. Sometimes the DVD will read no bother, and sometimes it won't. This seems to be completely random and is not specific to any DVD. I really need help with this. Anybody have any suggestions?

Fingees 22:54 28 Mar 07

I would suggest you try a lens cleaner/disk.

obtainable from most computer stores.

It may well fix the problem, if you drive has worked OK in the past.

i n t e nZ e 23:23 28 Mar 07

If that doesn't work try updating the drivers for it

Stuartli 23:28 28 Mar 07

The only driver required by an optical drive is the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is installed automatically by Windows.

It could first be worth checking the cables for firm connections. If this doesn't bring any improvement, try Uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

The operation of your rewriter in its main role is done by burning programs, but it could also be worth downloading the latest K-Lite Standard Codecs Pack from:

click here

If you use Windows Media Player also ensure that all File Types are Enabled from Tools>File Types.

delta36 10:57 29 Mar 07

Okay, I'll try these, but I still don't understand why it only happens some of the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5