Random disk activity/response times causing sound problem

TimmyTofu 13:48 29 Mar 14

HP Laptop, 8GB, Core i5, Geforce GT 630M

The problem: irritating random audio cuts/jitter, when playing music. Have sent the computer to warranty service twice, where they've changed the hard drive and the speaker system respectively, but the problem persists. The HP updates, Microsoft updates and drivers have been updated as well. Sometimes it works better, but the problem is a recurring one.

I have noticed that the cuts happen when there's disk activity and high response times (200-600) of different files (see the images bellow). It's not just one program or file, but different things on different occasions.

Resource monitor screen shot

Task manager screen shot

Anyone have thoughts on what's causing this?

TimmyTofu 13:56 29 Mar 14

Oh, factory reset didn't help either.

TimmyTofu 15:30 29 Mar 14

Thank you for the suggestions.

Happened both in Windows 8 and 8.1. I'd rather not disable anything, because the computer is relatively new (+1 year) and should be able to cope with indexing, updates etc.

Is that kind of disk active time % and response times normal, and would they normally interfere with sound playback?

TimmyTofu 17:52 29 Mar 14

There's a couple of errors and warnings in the event viewer, but nothing that I think could be causing this. I'll look into them anyway...

Thank you for taking the time to ponder this thing.

rdave13 18:33 29 Mar 14

Check out the HP software on it. Some HP maintenance will be running in the background. HP are trigger happy with running processors to keep your machine in tip top condition. Unfortunately at the expense of speed. Try disabling a few of them. Also check the start page and disable all the live tiles for now. Simply right click a live tile and select 'turn live tile off'. If that makes a difference then enable a live tile one at a time. Once you find the culprit you can uninstall the tile. Only re-install it after a reboot.

TimmyTofu 07:13 31 Mar 14

I've tried to disable some of those HP services now, but to no avail. I have no live tiles (or pretty much anything else) on the start screen either.

I think that the disk activity as such, or what causes it, is not really the problem, as the resource monitor suggests it is often just files like software.log1 (indexing?), Windows Defender or Google Chrome that cause the spikes. But rather, why would these disk activity spikes (see latter image in the #1 post) interfere with the sound playback?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017