Random disconnects broadband internet

corc2 15:20 09 Jul 06

I keep experiencing disconnects on my broadband connection. I contacted blueyonder (my ISP) who said there is nothing wrong with my connection. They suggested that it was possibly two reasons - A) spyware causing the problem (because the cable light on my modem doesn't go out) or B) a feature of Windows XP that disconnects ports if there is too much activity?!!
I have AVG 7 antivirus, Kerio firewall, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender, Adaware & a-squared - all of which are up to date and run frequently.
I have tried two different network cards and connecting via LAN connection on motherboard. Sometimes, repairing the connection will work sometimes it won't. Rebooting the modem usually works but this is only temporary. Cable modem is a Webstar DPX100. Broadband is 10MB, Win XP Home SP2, 1GB RAM. Anyone have any ideas especially regarding the second possible cause.

Graham ® 15:34 09 Jul 06

Check the modem in Device Manager, (Power Management?). See if it is set to disconnect to save power.

Stuartli 15:50 09 Jul 06

Have you checked from Internet Options>Tools>Connections tab>highlight default ISP>Settings>Advanced button that the "Disconnect if idle.." and "Disconnect when connection..." boxes are both unchecked?

Also ensure that you Enable "Always Dial My Default Connection" on the initial Connections tab page.

Bugzee 16:18 09 Jul 06

You could also use the Blueyonder instant repair tool a

mgmcc 17:42 09 Jul 06

Graham ®,

<<< Check the modem in Device Manager >>>

When connecting to a Cable Modem by ethernet, there is NOTHING installed in the PC, Software or Hardware, so there cannot be anything in Device Manager.

mgmcc 17:42 09 Jul 06

Stuartli,

<<< Have you checked from Internet Options>Tools>Connections tab>highlight default ISP>Settings>Advanced button that the "Disconnect if idle.." and "Disconnect when connection..." boxes are both unchecked? >>>

There is nothing to Connect/Disconnect. Unlike ADSL, you do not "dial-up" using a PPP protocol. An ethernet connection to a Cable Modem is no different from plugging into a home router - you plug in and are connected - period. There is no username/password involved, network authentication is via the Cable Modem's MAC address.

<<< Also ensure that you Enable "Always Dial My Default Connection" on the initial Connections tab page >>>

Again, this is not relevant. I have Telewest and I don't know what the problem here is, but one possibility might be to get Telewest to talk through the procedure for rebooting the modem. This involves accessing its interface at 192.168.100.1, resetting Defaults, Saving Settings and Restarting the Cable Modem, but it should be done under supervision from Telewest.

Stuartli 18:30 09 Jul 06

You're right - I only read the words broadband connection and remembered one of the probable causes.

Should have read a little further.

However, some people are surprised to find that their ADSL connection is similar in setup to a dialup modem configuration.

Graham ® 20:03 09 Jul 06

We'll leave this one with you, then :-)

corc2 22:01 09 Jul 06

Thanks I'll try telewest again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…