Random Crashing & DVD Rom Issues

TequilaSunrise 08:05 22 Feb 07

Hi Folks, wondering if any of you kind people can help me. For ages now whenever i put a DVD ROM into the DVD ROM drive, it always tells me that theres no disk inserted. I've tried disabling then enabling it, i've tried uninstalling it and updating the drivers but i'm still having the same problem. Its a medion if thats any help at all, it appears in my device manager as JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-165H.

My second, and more worrying problem is that first i had problems with my graphics card, it was sent away and they sent it back saying they had repaired it, less then 3 weeks later, the exact same thing happened (computer crashed.....screen went completely black, and when i tried to restart it, it wouldnt turn on at all - as if there was no power to the unit). I've since reinstalled a older graphics card until i hear back from the makers of the other one (they're on chinese holidays) and again my computer crashed but this time it froze, not even allowing me to press cntl, alt, del. so i had to hit the reset button and then my computer would do nothing but restart.....i tried loading it in safe mode, last known working configuration and normally and every time it was about to load the welcome screen (after the windows logo with the loading bar at the bottom) it restarted again. I managed to reboot the pc but i'm still experiencing problems. Its running slower than normal, it still occasionally restarts itself without any notice. I've reinstalled all my virus checkers etc (Zone Alarm Suite, AVG, a2, Spybot) and all of them say there is no viruses on my pc so i'm stumped as to why its acting like this. I only started having problems in November when my graphics card shorted and now it seems like everything else has been affected aswell. Sorry for the long explanation but i thought it best to give as much information as possible.

If anyone could provide me with a solution i would be extremely grateful

Gillian

Ho-Lin-Sok 10:39 22 Feb 07

you could try these for your ROM problems but it may be related to the other problems.
click here
click here

vinnyT 11:51 22 Feb 07

To prevent automatically restarting on error;

-right click 'my computer
-properties
-advances
-startup & recovery
-settings
-system failure, untick 'automatically restart'
-OK

You will, prob, be required to restart computer for changes to be activated, so save any work before you start the above.

This will allow you see any error reports and maybe find out what's causing the trouble.

Hope this helps.

Yabadaba™ 15:27 22 Feb 07

" "

TequilaSunrise 21:18 26 Feb 07

hey guys, it hasnt solved the problems i was experiencing but i appreciate your help

postie24 17:41 27 Feb 07

Hi there to sort out the drive problem try this,
Try clearing out the upper and lower filters in registry.Create a restore point 1st,then follow these instructions. 1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen
Reboot pc

Postie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…