Random Crashes

ennyoueffsea 01:38 16 Apr 03

Hi, hoping someone out there can help. I'm using Windows Me and am suffering from pc crashing, no particular reason, no particular time. When it happens, there is a click as if the pc is going into hibernate, but the click comes from the monitor rather than the hard disk. One blue screen I received mentioned VXDMON, so whether this suggests the monitor to be the cause, I just don't know.
In a majority of cases, when re-booting, the pc freezes. It freezes to the extent that ctrl-alt-del will have no affect, and what can only be described as a thin zip like green line appears along the top edge of the screen. It can take several attempts to get up and running again, but not knowing when it's going to happen again, is pretty frustrating. The number lock stays lit on the keyboard, even when the system is switched off. Tonight, for the first time, it's asked for a Windows password, and also is starting in safe mode. Any suggestions of help would be really really appreciated.

AndySD 05:27 16 Apr 03

Have you tried using system restore to a point before this started?

ennyoueffsea 18:20 16 Apr 03

Hi Andy, yeah have tried System Restore but no joy. It completes a restore, but the problem still persists. So whether the problem is lying within the restore folder, am not sure. The whole problem first happened on an evening when two things were being downloaded. Firstly, a download of Shockwave, which was interrupted. And also a Windows Update. At the time I seem to remember reading in a magazine about some kind of scam (or possibly virus) disguised as a Windows Update. So again, could be a number of things that have initially caused the problems, but difficult to pin it down. Whenever I attempt to run anti-virus, it seems to reach the same stage, in the Temporary folder IE5, a file ie5\k9mvwpnv\18292, but if I clear out all the temporary's or do a search in the IE5 folder, it never finds it. Haven't got much hair left to pull out. lol.

Many thanks,

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…