Random Crashes

stewgiles 17:54 24 Jan 03

I have recently started to suffer random crashes, until now the system has been fine (about 2 years old). The system will crash at any point, boot, reading a document, playing a game etc. I have swapped out both graphics and sound cards and the system crashes persists. Sometime the system will restart itself, other times lock-up, sometimes gets into a loop during reboots that prevents it booting up - and I normally have to resort to the on/off at the back of the machine. Have formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro - but that has not helped either. Any suggestions for fault finding would be greatly appreciated.

Djohn 18:09 24 Jan 03

Could be down to overheating, check that the CPU fan is working, and not full of fluff, also if you have more than one stick of memory, remove one and try, then replace and remove the other one.

y_not 18:21 24 Jan 03

As Djohn says check that the fan is working - you could download from click here to install hmonitor, this Little programme keeps a check on the case & CPU temperatures.

If you have recently added any hardware, writers, additional HDD etc. this could be straining the PSU.

What is the power output of the PSU and the spec of the PC?

fitshase 19:32 24 Jan 03

My money is on Djohn and the memory. My home computer worked fine. I installed XP Pro and everything was champion. Then all of a sudden it started to restart itself totally at random.

I tried eveything, removing all hardware and software and re-installing everything over a period of time. It still crashed.

Then, I decided to try the memory chip approach. Low and behold, I have removed a stick of memory and the machine has not crashed once in 2 months.

Regards

Fitshase

professor 20:47 24 Jan 03

i agree has anyone been playing around inside of it just before it went all crazy if so prehaps they set the volyage wrong for the cpu or installed another memory module that runs faster than the other e.g. 100mhz module working alongside a 133mhz module

prof

professor 20:48 24 Jan 03

i agree has anyone been playing around inside of it just before it went all crazy if so prehaps they set the volyage wrong for the cpu or installed another memory module that runs faster than the other e.g. 100mhz module working alongside a 133mhz module

prof

Old PC man 21:27 24 Jan 03

That's a nasty echo you've got there, professor!
I wouldn't think temperature was the prob as Stew says it sometimes happens at boot-up. Go for the memory fiddle first.

stewgiles 08:35 25 Jan 03

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am currently running with only 1 mem stick, I can soon swap that out with a spare in the house. I am not sure how to check the voltage setting on the PSU to find out if it is correct. Come to think of it I would not know if the setting was correct! Once again, thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…