random browser & memory problems

Mary_S 00:19 08 Aug 08

Dear All,

For the past couple months I have been experiencing problems with my PC as follows.

1) Temporary losses of internet connection: Randomly i lose internet connection through both IE & Mozilla & MSN Messenger. However, it is not a total loss as I can still download at high speeds when this problem occurs and as a test I can still ping other networks so I defintly have interent established at this time, even tho my browsers and msn do not work. VIrgin Media confirm its not a problem with their network.
The times when it happens realy is random!! About 4-5 weeks ago i use to happen 2-3 times a week , i just went through 3 weeks without it happening once , and now today it happen again , and just got my connection back.

Is this a virus?
I use zonealarm firewall and avast anti-virus an dnothing picked up?

2) Also , in the last month my computer crashes because of memory problems. Again , happens randomly.
a) Are the two prblems related?
b) Could a virus be the reason for both problems?

Or could I have corrupt memory!!
I rea;y dont know and its upsetting me :(

Pleae Help!!

Thanks

Mary

rdave13 00:31 08 Aug 08

Have a look here; click here

Mary_S 00:38 08 Aug 08

Thanks
Will check it out!!

birdface 00:49 08 Aug 08

I had the same sort of problem With NTL and put up with it for about 3 months.I got fed up with it and suggested that they send an engineer out.2 minutes on my computer and went to the NTL socket on my outside wall and replaced one of the filters and that was it.now recently kept loosing Internet Connection .Once again they sent an engineer.Decided the modem was faulty and replaced it and no problems since,Tell a lie.In the last 3 or 4 weeks changing pages was very slow and decided I probably needed more memory.But yesterday the signal went completely and found out everyone in my area was switched off.Everything working fine again as they must have fixed the problem with the cut off. Can you right click Local Area Connection and press repair and see if it comes up with a DNS problem. Firewall and Avast.Do you have any Anti-Spyware programs downloaded.if not i would try Superantispyware. If an oldish computer make sure air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.Maybe try turning off the Firewall and see if things run any better.

Mary_S 00:58 08 Aug 08

hey buteman!! thanks for the responce!!
With NTL , did u lose your entire internet connection or did it effect web browsers only!!
Mine effects web browsers and MSN only!!
I can still ping , i still get very fast download speeds from bit torrent and i can still connect to winamp tv and my brother can still play his xbox online!!
Thats why im not doubting Virgin when they say ist not thei rnetwork because I still have some connection!!
I have tried local area connection > repair .. cant remember what exactly happen when i did it but it did not sort anythign out. I'll try it again if it occurs!!
I've scan my computer with ad-aware and still nothing comes out.
My comp is old and probs is very dusty. Might give it a vacuum!!
Thanks much appreciated!!

rdave13 01:17 08 Aug 08

What browser(s) do you use and what OS?

Mary_S 10:55 08 Aug 08

hey!!
I use Mozilla and IE and Windows XP(sp3)

Ditch999 12:09 08 Aug 08

Run a test on your RAM with memtest click here

birdface 12:19 08 Aug 08

Yes you are right I used to loose Internet Connection.And it was very slow opening new pages when it was working.if you right click local area connection and press repair it would tell you if there was a DNS problem.Just wondering if you have downloaded Sp3 lately.if so run your defrag.If using IE7 you could try.Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and restore advanced settings.In IE7 again when you are on your home page try.view.Web Page privacy policy.And if anything disabled enable them.Have you tried deleting MSN and running C Cleaner then reinstalling it.I am not sure if you can go into add-Remove and repair MSN.Maybe make sure that you are running the latest version of Java.Version 6 update 7. If affecting Ie7 and Mozilla possibly a Firewall problem.As a last resort and if nothing else works maybe remove Zone Alarm run C Cleaner then reinstall it.But only as a last resort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced