RAM/Paging File Boosters

Major Disaster 15:41 01 Apr 05

I have a Dell 2.26 GHz PC with 256MB RAM, and its starting to show its age. I frequently recieve messages that "Windows is increasing the size of the paging file" and have noticed a gradual slow down especially when running more demaing applications.
I have heard of these RAM/Paging File Boosters and wonder if they would help speed up my pc again. Please advise if these types of programmes are worth using and any recommendations of any free versions.
Thanks.

Chegs ® 15:57 01 Apr 05

I have 1Gb of RAM,and my "Paging file" is switched off.I would consider improving the RAM in your machine(as its quite cheap now)

On your PC,I would restrict the paging file to equal sizes for Min/Max,remembering of course that the paging file ideally should be 1.5 times the size of your RAM.

I switched mine off,as I happened to notice that the partition carrying the OS was getting low on space,and the PC was slowing in use.On poking into XP's "oily bits" I noticed that the paging file was upto 5Gb's in size,and as I had plenty of RAM decided it was un-neccessary to continue with paging file.

There are several RAM optimisers(free) about the net,RamBooster is one I have used previously.click here

Major Disaster 16:33 01 Apr 05

I have looked into buying more RAM and came up with 512MB of DDR from Crucial cositing about £35. This is probably a stupid question but i have never seem 768MB of RAM (512 + 256) advertised before, are these two amounts compatible since the computers i have seem usually have 256Mb, 512MB, 1024MB etc.? Or would i have to but two sets of 512MB RAM? On the subject, how easy is to install RAM?
Thanks

Major Disaster 16:50 01 Apr 05

I have just checked my sytem's virtual memory in the control panel an dthe paging file for my C: drive has an inital size of 384MB (256 x 1.5) but a maximum size of 768MB, is this the cause of my troubles as ive heard both these values should be the same!?
Please reply, i am gratefull for any response

Chegs ® 18:12 01 Apr 05

Yes,set both Min/Max to 384.

If your PC has DDR RAM,then get some more.If you bought a stick of 512Mbs,you could use it with the present 256Mb stick,but if the new stick is a different brand to that presently installed it "can" cause problems.RAM installation is very easy,it simply pushes into a slot alongside your present stick.

Major Disaster 18:21 01 Apr 05

Thanks for that.
I have just checked in system properties and all that it tells me is that i have 256Mb of RAM, bot if its DDR or not, but crucial says that it is 100% sure that they are compatible. Can i trust them? Is Crucial a reputable company?

Major Disaster 18:22 01 Apr 05

Thanks for that.
I have just checked in system properties and all that it tells me is that i have 256Mb of RAM, bot if its DDR or not, but crucial says that it is 100% sure that they are compatible. Can i trust them? Is Crucial a reputable company?

TomJerry 18:24 01 Apr 05

you can trust them, no problem to have 784MB, but make sure you have free alot to put memeory module in

Major Disaster 18:28 01 Apr 05

Thanks, apparently i have two modules (once being occupied by my 256 Mb) and the other one is free. When you install RAM what do you have to do? Do you just stick it in the box? Or do you have to screw it in? Make sure to wear surgical gloves to keep it form getting dusty? Upgrade the BIOS? WHAT?!

ade.h 19:35 01 Apr 05

Keep yourself grounded to the case (which should be plugged into the mains but switched OFF at the back of the PSU.)

No need for gloves; just be careful what you touch. Hold circuit boards by their edges to avoid touching circuitry. Push it home gently but firmly and the clips at each end should pop into place. Then push them home to secure it fully.

click here

Major Disaster 19:40 01 Apr 05

Ohh ok, thanks. But do i need to do anything whith the bios? and what do u mean by "Keep yourself grounded to the case (which should be plugged into the mains but switched OFF at the back of the PSU.0", please rephrase. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…