RAMDISK wont allow bigger d/l's than 55Mbs

Chegs ® 01:48 29 Feb 04

There was a thread recently by Lozzy with instructions on creating a RAMDISK to speed up surfing.I was quite happy to give it a go,so installed it and have been whizzing round the net since.Then tonite I set to and tried to d/l the SP1a update to create a "slipstreamed" install CD of XP,but after the d/l had completed(125Mbs)I went to check the properties of the d/l and was puzzled as to why it was only 55Mbs.I tried the d/l again,and at 55Mbs the XP "Disk Cleanup" appeared refering to the RAMDISK.As my second attempt at d/l'ing was now at 67Mbs,I had no option but to cancel it,remove the RAMDISK from my puter,and set the d/l off for a third time.Hopefully it should complete without a hitch,so if your one of the many PCA members that installed this,take heed if you want to d/l a big-ish file!

tafoody 02:36 29 Feb 04

you could of used a third-party download manager like DAP, which uses its own temp file on C drive.

Chegs ® 02:48 29 Feb 04

Why use a d/l manager when I'm on ADSL(especially when its easiest to remove RAMDISK)The idea of a RAMDISK is to aid surfing,it stops your pc from getting clogged up with temp files,using a 3rd party app to increase the levels of clutter is defeating the idea of RAMDISK isn't it?

tafoody 02:55 29 Feb 04

3rd party app for downloading large files allows you to benefit from surfing with a RAMDISK, seems simple enough to me.

the temp file of a download manager is completely different to your browser temp files, there is no clutter involved.

grabster 06:43 29 Feb 04

I use DAP myself and find it great for downloading from choosy sites by automatically choosing download locations where as windows own downloader would throw the head back and you get zilch.no problems with my ramdisk either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now