ram/bios issue help needed

skell 17:04 12 Jan 05

Hi,

Ive just purchaced new RAM from cruicial (512MB DDR3200) to add to my existing RAM wich is the same make and model to make a total of 1024. But in my system infomation it only shows 768MB of ram. Iv contacted cruicial and they say i need to upgrade my BIOS. Im not to keen on doing that as i have heard that it can cause problems. Is there any other way of correcting this without having to upgrade the BIOS?
Thx

mattyc_92 17:26 12 Jan 05

The only way to solve this is actually upgrading the BOIS.... Alternatively, you could buy a new motherboard, but surely you wouldn't want to waste your money on that???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 12 Jan 05

what does it say on the memory count when you first boot up?

Diemmess 17:47 12 Jan 05

Upgrading BIOS if done by downloading from the motherboard's own website/chips site and following their instructions to the letter, is relatively safe and easy.

Upgrading for no particular reason is silly.

skell 18:31 12 Jan 05

Ok thx for your imput looks like il have to upgrade the bios
thx again.

Rayuk 18:50 12 Jan 05

Before you think about flashing your bios check the motherboards manual to see what memory it should take or check the bios readmes to see if it mentions a fix for memory problems.
Have you tried the new stick on its own to see if it registersthe full 512mb and also swap the 2 sticks round,could be a faulty memory slot.

skell 21:43 12 Jan 05

tried all the above apart from the readmes, the stick of memory works ok on its own and in other slots too. Il check the readmes .. thx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…