Ram v. DVD RW

muddypaws 19:36 23 Apr 07

I have started to use DVD+RWs in my domestic Hitachi recorder as it has ceased to recognise DVD Ram format.
I notice that when deleting a TV recording from the RW it says 'Title deleted' but still leaves the thumbnail on screen with the length of the programme displayed. This timelemgth is not erased from the RW. ie Rw disc is 4 hrs capacity, recorded programme length is 2hrs. When the programme is deleted there is still only 2 hrs recording time left. It isn't until all the titles have been erased that the disc reverts to 4 hrs capacity again.
Is this normal and would DVD-RWs be any different.
Never used RWs before.
Can anyone advise please.
Thanks.

skidzy 19:59 23 Apr 07

Strange that,my standalone dvd recorder only accepts rw and when i delete the info ,everything has gone.

Do you have an erase function as opposed to delete,all i do is highlight the info i wish to remove and press erase.

Sorry not a solution for you but may help.

muddypaws 21:36 23 Apr 07

skidzy.
Thanks for reply. I bought the Hitachi with ram capabilities because as you know the ram discs behave similar to a hard drive.
No-- in the menu there is only erase, which with a ram disc completely removes the thumbnail. With the RW as I said it leaves the thumbnail, with no picture and says 'Title deleted' and leaves the length of the programme 'that was' still displayed.
Don't understand why yours is different, but recorders all work differently I suppose.
Cheers.

muddypaws 21:37 23 Apr 07

Sorry that should read '....in the menu there is only DELETE'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009