RAM Upgrade Slots

car nut 18:26 08 Apr 09

Hi

I'm a bit confused! I thought I had two spare RAM slots and have bought two modules to fill them.

But what appeared to be two spare slots don't have the blue coloured plastic surround or the clips to hold more RAM - I thought perhaps the new modules would come with that.

Can you buy those parts to hold RAM or are those "holders" fixed to the motherboard in a more permanent way?

I've got two slots filled with RAM and it's Dual Channel.

Thanks

Sea Urchin 18:36 08 Apr 09

Just run a scan with Crucial - it will tell you what you have and what you could have

click here

MAJ 18:37 08 Apr 09

What is the make and model of your motherboard or PC?

car nut 18:43 08 Apr 09

Thanks Sea Urchin.
It says:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ Model 15, Stepping 0
CPU Speed: 2010 MHz

There's a little graphic showing 2 empty slots, but as I said, how do I get the part with the retaining clips? Is it supposed to come with the RAM?

MAJ - It's a Mesh Premier Pro.
Motherboard is Asus A8NE-FM.

Thanks guys.

MAJ 19:06 08 Apr 09

Your board click here does have four memory slots and it should have retaining clips on each slot, if it doesn't then I assume it was like that when installed. Contact Meshcomputers about it.

car nut 19:14 08 Apr 09

Thanks MAJ - I'll try, but usually I might as well bash my head against a brick wall rather than try to get help from Mesh.

It's certainly more pleasurable!

MAJ 19:20 08 Apr 09

Yeah I know car nut, they're usually crap on customer service, although there's a guy sometimes comes on here from Mesh, Davey he's called, he usually gets problems sorted satisfactorily. Their forum is click here if you wish and I think Davey is the Admin there.

wiz-king 19:24 08 Apr 09

Are you looking at the right slots? RAM usually goes in white slots with a retaining clip at each end (the vertical ones on p 1-4 of the diagram MAJ supplied)

car nut 20:42 08 Apr 09

Thanks MAJ - I'm going to try that avenue first.

wiz-king: Yes, I believe I'm looking at the right slots. They are in the same place as on that diagram.

car nut 17:43 09 Apr 09

The latest:
I've registered with the Mesh Owners Club, clicked the link in the email I was sent, but it's still awaiting activation by person or persons unknown at Mesh. Why it isn't automatic I don't know. So I don't know how long it's going to take before I can post my query, let alone get an answer.

So, in their email it says if you're having problems contact our support team on this address. So I sent an email asking how long it would be before I can post and I've had an email notification back saying the message is undeliverable because:
"Unknown address error 550-'sorry, mail to that recipient is not accepted (#5.7.1)"

Every turn with Mesh and I'm met with, not mesh, but a solid brick wall. It's always been thus.

MESH Support 10:27 16 Apr 09

Hi car nut,

The forum was heavily abused at one point hence the change to manual authentication. Unfortunately a case of one or two people making things difficult for the many, sorry. In addition to this my long weekend has caused new account checking hasn't been occurring as frequently. All new accounts should be verified and activated shortly.

Regarding your query, the A8NE-FM was a low cost OEM only version of the A8N boards that only had two memory slots. The same motherboard PCB was used with more expensive A8N models that had all 4 slots connected.

Davey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now