RAM upgrade problem

brodiedog 08:35 08 Mar 06

Can somebody help, I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard with 4 DDR slots, I've had 1Gb 2x Crucial 512Mb 184 pin DIMM PC2700 DDRRAM NP unbuffered CL2.5 (Part No. CT6464Z335) running in DDR slots 1&2 faultlessly for 12 months, I decided to upgrade to 2Gb, tried to install another 2x Crucial 512 sticks (same Part No. etc.etc.) in DDR slots 3&4, the computer would not boot up, continually beeping at me, so took the new sticks out and the computer is running faultlessly again, any ideas??

Batch 08:42 08 Mar 06

Could be one of the new memory cards is faulty.

Try putting each new one in on its own (along with the original memory) and see if the problem only arises on one of them - then you have your answer.

Alternatively, take out the original memory and put the new stuff in the slots the original memory was in. If PC boots OK, it sounds like one of slots 3 or 4 (or both) is dodgy (or you hadn't seated the memory properly 1st time round).

brodiedog 10:17 08 Mar 06

Computer duly checked, it seems as though it is DDR slot 3 that is not working, I've installed 512 stick in DDR slot 4 and the computer runs o.k. however it is not registering the increase in RAM it still says I've only got 1Gb installed.

Batch 10:18 08 Mar 06

Maybe the memory needs to be in adjacent slots - in which case you've got a prob!

Totally-braindead 11:02 08 Mar 06

There appears to be two of the boards you mention, version 1 and version 2 click here regardless of which you have they both seem to support dual channel memory. If slot 3 is damaged in some way then you will not be able to use slot 4 either as it requires the memory to be in pairs. The only suggestion I can offer is read the manual and see if there is some sort of BIOS setting that will allow you to use the slots but not as dual channel. This may not be possible as usually the configuration of memory is something like use slots 1,2,3 and 4. It may not allow you to use 1,2 and 4. Suggest an email to gigabyte if you get stuck. The crucial memory test on their site may also tell you what is possible with your board.

brodiedog 13:53 08 Mar 06

Problem sorted, it seems that the dual channel works on slots 1&3, 2&4, put new sticks in 2&4 then the old sticks in 1&3 then the computer, the beauty that she is, automatically re-configured the RAM to dual channel enabled and I was up and running with 2Gb of RAM, oh the blessings of a sweet running computer, anyway many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now