Ram Upgrade and Cas latency

mikejd1972 21:03 08 Jun 04

Currently I have 512mb of RAM installed on my computer with an ASUS A7N8X-VM motherboard. The RAM I have is Nanya Technology DDR SDRAM PC2700 333mhz 2.5CL 256mb x2.

I have just bought one Crucial DDR SDRAM PC3200 400mhz 3CL to replace one of the 256 ones.

The person on the phone said it would be compatible with the other RAM module, but will the CL (Cas Latency) difference make a difference so to speak!

Cheers

Mike

mikejd1972 21:28 08 Jun 04

Also, ran a programme that gives info on my system, says that the evffective clock speed is 166mhz (ddr) with the effective clock being 333 mhz.

Have I bought the wrong memory, the Crucial website says its guaranteed to work!

Night Ryder 21:41 08 Jun 04

It's true that the two modules may work OK together but this is very dependant on the motherboard. You should check your motherboard manual to determine acceptable memory configurations before adding memory. I have two PC's with different motherbourds installed. The acceptable memory configurations differ considerably.

mikejd1972 22:27 08 Jun 04

Cheers for that, quick trip to the ASUS website showed that in order to run the DDR400 at dual channel mode I would have to buy an AGP graphics card. I currently have an integrated graphics card which does the job fine for me, not a gamer!Planning to get another 512mb next month, after next pay day!

Emailed Crucial, my order has not been posted yet, cancelled it and ordered same size ram but now at PC2700,333mhz and 2.5cl. Got to ring them at 8.30 in the morning to confirm!

Cheers for that Night Ryder, much appreciated,

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now