RAM upgrade in Advent medion notebook

andy@ 23:55 03 Mar 07

A profile of this Advent Medion MID2030 (3GHz, XP) laptop indicates:
Slot 'DRAM Slot 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DRAM Slot 1' is Empty

I've done a "crucial" scan and apparently an extra 256MB, 1Gb DDR RAM is compatible. Does this sound correct?

Does anyone know how to self-install RAM on this notebook, or should it go into PCWorld for this?

Andy

bennyhillslovechild 04:03 04 Mar 07

Yeah that sounds about right. If I were you and you can afford it, I would go for at least a 512mb stick, you should notice quite an improvement for that, 256mb is really quite low for XP.

As for installing it, it's not that hard to install ram into a laptop, check your manual to find out where you access your ram slots (normally by unscrewing a panel on the underside) - One hint here - make sure your laptop is unplugged and that you have removed the battery before you do this. Unlike installing desktop memory sticks, laptop SODIMMS are inserted into the slot at a angle then pushed down parallel with the motherboard until the latches engage. That's it. Close it up and put battery back in. Just remember to ground yourself before touching the memory stick or the inside of your laptop by touching a radiator or similar to avoid the slim chance of static electricity damaging and internal components.

andy@ 11:00 04 Mar 07

Thanks, apparently 512Mb DDR PC2700 from crucial is compatible.

The Advent manual only says, re. upgrades - contact service centre...PCWorld. Basically no info...

Dose anyone have experience with accessing RAM in this range of Advent Laptops? I gather some RAM slots are also accessed under the keyboard. I'm inclined to DIY - rather than take laptop in...

Andy

bennyhillslovechild 11:06 04 Mar 07

Sometimes you access the slots under the keyboard, if that's the case you can normally see little spring clips on the top most and bottom most edges of the keyboard, - these can be carefully pushed back with a flat headed screwdriver and the keyboard CAREFULLY lifted up. I emphasise carefully, as the keyboard itself is attached by a small ribbon cable to the motherboard. There's no need to remove this, you can normally just move the keyboard aside enough to gain access to the memory slots. If you examine the machine you should normally be able to tell if the memory slots are on the underside or under the keyboard.

andy@ 11:16 04 Mar 07

Thanks again. Perhaps this keyboard doesn't lift up after all...I don't think I can see any clips and the top edge of the keyboard doesn't seem to be 'hinged' at all.

Andy

merlin23 11:25 04 Mar 07

hi andy i have a medion desktop pc which had 256mb of ram , my pc also has an integrated graphics card which (robs) the system of 64mb of ram.
i did a scan using crucial, and purchased i gig off ddr memory which cost £55 £18 for 215mb, from crucial.

when i opened the pc the installed ddr memory chip was made by (swisschip) and costs £39 euro .

bennyhillslovechild 11:26 04 Mar 07

if you look at the underside of your laptop you should hopefully see some access points. There may well be an option to remove hard drive, battery, optical drive etc. There should also hopefully be a panel you can remove to get to the memory slots. You may also see a removable bit near the hinge/vents of the machine, that's normally how you would access the CPU/fan.

andy@ 11:47 04 Mar 07

Thanks m23.

bhlc - cheers will have a look.

By the way - I rang PcWorld...They couldn't find the laptop on their system...it was bought about 2.5yrs ago! Anyway they quoted £29.99 for labour, £49.99 for 512MB DDR.

Andy

bennyhillslovechild 11:51 04 Mar 07

£30 for installing a stick or ram? *picks self up from floor*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac