RAM upgrade

Skinn 21:21 22 Mar 09

I asked this question under a different topic and have been advised to open a specif thread regarding it.

I want to upgrade PC RAM. This is the report from CrucialScan:

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 768 MB
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Number of Banks: 4
* Dual Channel Support: N.A.
* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
* CPU Family: AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ Model 10, Stepping 0
* CPU Speed: 2000 MHz

Based upon this spec. what should the RAM be upgraded to and in one or two cards?

Thanks in advance.

MAT ALAN 21:28 22 Mar 09

what should the RAM be upgraded to and in one or two cards?

the crucial scan tells you exactly what you can install its up to you how much...

Bit puzzled by the "maximum memory capacity"

seems a tad high!!! HMMM!!

MAT ALAN 21:36 22 Mar 09

forgot to mention your "max memory capacity" equates to a TERABYTE which is quite a lot for a home PC..LOL

Skinn 21:40 22 Mar 09

Thanks but could you give a recommended amount considering the PC spec. and the amount to spend due to it's age (just over four years).

MAT ALAN 21:43 22 Mar 09

If your O/S is XP 32bit no point in putting more than 3 gigs in cos it wont see any more than that..

still not sure why it says 1048576 MB....

MAJ 22:04 22 Mar 09

What is the make and model of the PC or the motherboard, Skinn?

MAJ 22:08 22 Mar 09

PS:

Maximum Memory Capacity is probably 1048576 KB which is 1GB. Chances are that both memory slots are used already.

MAT ALAN 19:07 23 Mar 09

Hey MAJ, thats what i'm hoping too, still, a terabyte would come in handy (i'm off to the shops)might get a couple before they sell out.LOL

Skinn 15:21 25 Mar 09

I removed the two RAM cards to see what they comprised of, put them back in but the PC wouldn't boot up. The mesage was:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set up using the original Setup CD-ROM

Windows XP Home came pre-installed on the PC so I don't have the original CD so took it to the local repair shop. They said Windows had been corrupted possibly by removing and replacing the RAM. They ran the Windows repair and, not wanting the same thing to happen again, I asked them to upgrade the RAM.They replaced the 256Mb RAM card with a 1GB card.

They charged €100: €50 for the Windows repair and €50 for the RAM. I thought it was expensive but was told the minimum charge for any repair is €90 but they'd reduced it to €50. Was this an above averagecharge in labour and for the RAM?

Would it be advisable to get a Windows CD - how easy is a repair to carry out? If so, where should I source it from and how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…