RAM Upgrade.

bellababy 21:43 12 Sep 06

Please can any one point me in the right direction to get instructions on adding extra RAM to my PC?
I have an Acerpower F1 desk top running XP Pro
I know that I have two slots one at the moment has 224mb in use, and I have 512mb memory module I wish to add. But I would like to download instructions before I open up the PC as I'm not to sure of what to do. In anticipation thanks.

Dipso 21:59 12 Sep 06

Try this click here

bellababy 22:05 12 Sep 06

Thanks Dipso that looks brilliant. As an after thought to avoid the problem with earthing would it be a wise move to ware rubber gloves while working inside a PC, does any one know?

Input Overload 22:10 12 Sep 06

click here click here I'm with Dipso you wont go far wrong with Crucial & you can download a small file off the site that will advise you on the correct memory to use, they are also very helpful on the phone.

Dipso 22:14 12 Sep 06

Mmm...not sure about the rubber gloves, would think it would be hard to work with the components for one thing.

I did buy a wrist strap for a couple of quid but as long as you ensure the surface you are working on is dust free and you are not wearing fluffy slippers (I do it bearfoot), follow the grounding advice and touch the unpainted part of the PC or a radiator to discharge any static build up every so often.

Tim1964 22:19 12 Sep 06

bellababy,

With reference to the rubber gloves. It's the ststic electricity that can cause a problem and rubber gloves may protect against electric shock but NEVER put your hands into anything that is still connected to the mains.

The best way to discharge the static is to have the base unit plugged in to the wall socket but SWITCHED OFF and then touch the outer casing of the power supply and then unplug the mains lead from the wall.

If you hold the stick of RAM only by the edges (the varnished non-metallic parts) then there will be no problem with any static.

If you want to see the fun static causes just shuffle around on your carpet in nylon socks for a minute and then lightly touch someone on the neck.

:D

ed-0 22:21 12 Sep 06

As Dipso

ground yourself on a radiator, just touch a metal part. You can keep doing it every few minutes, if you want.

Hold the ram by the corners, don't touch the metal contacts. Pull the white locking pins back, line up the ram, push in and see the white tags lock into place.

Boot the computer up and enjoy the extra ram.

bellababy 22:21 12 Sep 06

Thanks again Dipso and Input Overload. Just a thought as you say Dipso maybe not pratical. I'll go and get a strap tomorrow. Thanks bellababy.

bellababy 22:25 12 Sep 06

Thanks Tim and ed-o. I'll take care and now go and give the other half a shocking time :-) oh dear don't think I have any nylon socks oh well some other time maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…