RAM - The term "banks" ?

Jason Hobson 22:46 21 Jun 03

While reading through my motherboard manual I noticed the Memory section. Here is the exact quote from the manual.

" Memory:
3 X DDR DIMM Sockets
Max. 3GB unbuffered PC2100/1600 non-ECC DDR SDRAM
(Note: PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only. PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only.)"

While I reading this I thought to myself, PC3200 can only be used in 2 slots, and PC2700 (the one im currently using) max to 4 slots, fair enough.

At which point I thought, Hang on a minute, it says my Motherboard only has 3 slots.

I am currently using one 512mb Stick of DDR333 PC2700. And was thinking about getting another stick of the same. But reading that its max to 4 "banks" im not sure whether it would work or not.

So what I am asking here is could someone please explain the term banks to me please, and how many banks would one stick of 512mb ram consume.

Thanks in advance.

hugh-265156 23:00 21 Jun 03

click here scroll down

in your case the term bank does refer to a single memory slot, in the old days of SIMMs it took two slots to make one bank

your manual probably talks about ,or was written from the point of view of your chipset's ability to address memory in a number of locations rather than what is actually on the board

anyway you will be fine with another stick of pc2700 if you dont think its overkill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…