RAM - single-sided or double-sided?

Laser157 14:47 24 Oct 04

I am having trouble understanding this and would be grateful for any help!

I have two Kingston KVR133X64C3/256 modules in my machine. One of them I bought recently on e.bay, the other I have had for a while. The recent one I used to replace some generic memory which I now will use in another machine.

Even though the part number is the same, one of the Kingston modules has chips on one side only and the other has chips on both sides. I have read that having a mixture of single and double sided works the memory contoller harder and reduces speed.

However on the Kingston website the data sheet has a comment that there are alternative configurations for this module, but they are all compatible.

So here is my question: is the important thing not the number of chips, but whether they are "single bank"? Could it be that my modules are electrically compatible even though they are different physically and that this is what is significant in terms of them working well together in my machine?

My alternative is to put back the generic module which has chips on both sides and use the newer Kingston one on it's own in the other machine.

Any advice would be appeciated.

BITS&BOBS 15:30 24 Oct 04

Single banks and double banks work fine to together.

Single banks are faster than double as only have to source out data to less chips.

I have mixed double single and double banks with the double in slot 1 and single in slot 2 no problems at all.

Laser157 16:22 24 Oct 04

Hi Bits&Bobs. Thanks for the helpful response. I'll leave the thread unresolved for a bit to see if anyone else wants to contribute

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 24 Oct 04

Some older motherboards will only recognise single bank strips.

Most annoying when you have just forked out for 512 and only seem to get 256

Laser157 16:50 24 Oct 04

Yes indeed!

Both my sticks are recognised and function OK. I just expected them to be identical. I would like to know they are both single bank even though one is single-sided and the other double sided. It seems to me there is confusion between the terminology here, or is it just me? Why don't the memory makers classify their products as "single bank" or is there an easy way of telling.

BITS&BOBS 14:41 25 Oct 04

Your ight it would make it alot easier, however the difference in performance is so small as being detected only in lab tested and we are talking 1000's of a second.

However worth looking at motherboard websites for info as to how many banks a mother boards can support as it does differ, also a good point when buying memory to enquire as to whether you are getting single or double banked when I got a mix from crucial they offered to swap my double bank for a single so worth bearing in mind!! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…