RAM & Processor

blocker11 09:42 05 Dec 07

I have an
AMD Athlon 2000+ 1.65 GHz
and 512MB RAM

and looking to buy so new improved ones, is there any restrictions as to what i can buy?

Are they easy to install? or better to leave to a Pro?

MAJ 09:57 05 Dec 07

Fairly easy to install if you have any confidence and savvy. It depends how far you want to upgrade and what your budget is. It might be better if you go for a complete motherboard bundle of Processor, Ram and motherboard. click here

blocker11 10:09 05 Dec 07

Am just looking on Misco website at new RAM and each one is tewlling me it might not working on some branded machines??

How do i know what will work on mine??

MAJ 10:16 05 Dec 07

Go to click here and run the scan or enter your computer's make and model and they will tell you which memory will work with your PC.

keef66 11:20 05 Dec 07

With that processor I suspect it is an old socket A type. You'd struggle to find a better processor that's compatible with your motherboard.

You'll also find that the older ram you need is more expensive than the current DDR2 stuff.

As MAJ suggests, a mobo bundle could be a better option. Bear in mid though that todays mobos are PCI-express, and if you have an AGP graphics card, you'd have to replace that too. One further problem could be attaching your hard drives and cd drives to a new motherboard if you have more than one of each; newer ones tend to have just one IDE connector to which you can attach only 2 devices. The alternative is replacing the drives with the newer SATA versions. Also bear in mind that a new mobo bundle will probably mean having to repair or reinstall the operating system.

Starting to sound complicated. Try the Crucial scanner and bung in another 512mb of whatever it recommends.

Or buy a new base unit

blocker11 11:28 05 Dec 07

yeah starting to get complicated?
Have an Nvidia Graphics card..... not sure of the model have a CD rewriter and think only 1 120G hard drive!

blocker11 11:28 05 Dec 07

yeah starting to get complicated?
Have an Nvidia Graphics card..... not sure of the model have a CD rewriter and think only 1 120G hard drive!

keef66 12:21 05 Dec 07

So you could plug both the HDD and the CD drive into the one IDE cable and attacch to the one IDE connector on a new mobo.

If the graphics card is the same age as the processor, I suspect it's 5 or 6 years old then it will be AGP and won't fit in a PCI-express motherboard.

Do you have Windows XP? If so, go to the desktop, right click My Computer and choose Manage. Then select Device Manager, and click the + next to display adapter. What does it say there?

blocker11 13:03 05 Dec 07

I am at work at the moment but will do the above when i get home and post the results?

thanks

blocker11 18:34 05 Dec 07

MSI Ms-StarForce GeForce FX 5200 (NVidia GeforceFX 5200)

blocker11 18:48 05 Dec 07

I have just completed the Crucial Scan and it has informed me that i can upgrade my
2 x 256MB to

2 x 1 GB

at a price of 75.18 inc VAT
Is this a good valuation??
Could i get cheaper else where?
Will it make much Difference to my PC???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now