ram probs

briskem1 11:30 09 Jun 06

could anyone advise me how to increase my ram without upgrading ive 256meg of ram ,i defrag often [1 a day] and clear out temp files continuously, thanks

Diodorus Siculus 11:37 09 Jun 06

What operating system do you use?

In general:

Keep the background processes as mimimal as possible.
click here

Disable the number of programs running at startup.

terryf 11:41 09 Jun 06

You have probably already looked click here to see what another 256m would cost?

Belatucadrus 12:20 09 Jun 06

There are some freeware RAM optimisers that may be worth checking out click here FreeRAM XP click here would appear to be the best, but that would depend on what operating system you're running.

"defrag often [1 a day]" ? Seems a bit over the top, I defrag once every couple of months if I remember.

briskem1 20:29 09 Jun 06

on win xp .but i'm on ntl 10 meg aqnd it dont work!!

Totally-braindead 20:39 09 Jun 06

I assume you believe that the reason the ntl 10 meg BB doesn't work is due to the amount of memory you have?

Personally I don't really see how that can be affecting your BB connection.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:42 09 Jun 06

if you can afford ntl 10 meg broadband you can afford to put some more memory in your pc?. 256mb is not really enough to run XP effectively.

briskem1 20:46 09 Jun 06

ahhhah! thankyou mr arthur, i never knew that 256 mb was incompatable regards briskem1

VoG II 20:48 09 Jun 06

Go click here

This won't chsange the speed of your internet connection though.

Totally-braindead 20:50 09 Jun 06

No its not that its incompatible or anything its just that 256mb is really the minimum for XP. It will run on less but if you're not into gaming then 512mb is really the most reasonable amount to have, if you do buy some more get it from the link terryf gave. It will speed everything up as well and I would think it would be quite noticeable.

De Marcus™ 20:51 09 Jun 06

Not really incompatible, just not quite enough system memory for xp to zip along like it should, doubling it to 512mb should see you OK.

You should also follow the excellent advice given by Diodorus Siculus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…