RAM Problems

Deathninja 17:26 26 Sep 06

I've got a PC with an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard, I recently bought 2 modules of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT RAM to upgrade it. Problem is, whenever I boot up the PC afterwards, it hangs on the XP boot screen (with the blue bar). One the BIOS post and under safe mode it works fine, and even detects the full amount of memory. It only has this problem using both sticks, using one is OK. Memcheck shows no errors.

I tried taking the GPU out and it works fine with both, I assumed this was a PSU problem as it's only a 300W, so I replaced it with a 550W one.

I still have the problem though, it even works when using a different GPU (Radeon 9600 SE). The problem card is an ASUS AX800XT, which I've had no problems with on it's own.

Corsair don't know what it is, and gettign support from ASUS is a nightmare.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure I can't return the RAM for a refund as it's not faulty.

uesquebeathus 17:37 26 Sep 06

are the modules in the correct slots and fully home into the sockets with the lugs clipped over the edge slots?
some motherbloards use both paired in adjacent slots and others with four slot are in the first slot and the third slot.
did you do anything with the bios before or after inserting the new ram modules, and what was the old ram type and positions?

Deathninja 17:43 26 Sep 06

I put them in exactly the same positions as the old modules were, and they're fitted correctly. I set the timings manually to the ones recommended by Corsair (2-3-3-6) and the voltage to 2.65 (as high as the MoBo allows, 2.75 is ideal for the RAM).

I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, aside from slightly better stability, there's been to change (I tried the RAM under both BIOS versions).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…