RAM problem

highside 13:21 31 Aug 09

Anyone help please
Win Vista Home Premium Duel Core 1.7Mhz 2GB RAM.
ie 1GB in each of the two slots.Samsung R60Plus laptop.

I just tried to add a 2GB pack in one of the slots to give 3GB total (DDR2 667)ie giving 1G in one slot and 2G in the other.

The laptop runs up as far as windows completely loading with all my usual desktop icons but it then goes back to a screen which says 'windows did not shut down properly do you want to continue or start in Safe Mode' It runs OK in safe mode and System Info shows 3GB and no problems shown in device manager but restarting always produces the same procedure.

Could it be that I need to change the other original module to the same size and make as the new one? and therefore end up with 4GB, the laptops maximum.

gengiscant 13:24 31 Aug 09

Try taking each memory module out,one at a time and booting your laptop each time and post back.

mrwoowoo 13:35 31 Aug 09

If not,try swapping the two around.
Sometimes putting the largest in the first slot or vice versa can make a diifference depending on your motherboard.

highside 14:08 31 Aug 09

Thanks for replies, it runs with either or both of the originals OK but running just the new one it fails and produces exceptions.
Tried the big one in the other slot but got the original fault. Sounds omminous doesnt it as far as the new one is concerned but it is not a cheepo and came from a good PC shop.

MAT ALAN 14:13 31 Aug 09

Could possibly be faulty or the wrong type of module

click here

run the scan in the link it wil tell you exactly what upgade your lappy will accept...

Spark6 14:14 31 Aug 09

Return the module to the 'good PC shop', obtain a refund or credit, then go on-line to Crucial and get a guaranteed module for your machine.

Spark6 14:15 31 Aug 09

Beat me to it!

highside 14:24 31 Aug 09

Came with written lifetime guarantee

MAT ALAN 14:26 31 Aug 09

Came with written lifetime guarantee

doesn't mean a thing if its the wrong one!!

highside 14:34 31 Aug 09

Of course not but the pack and the module have the same description for the DDR2 and it ties up with the Crucial scan, will return to shop (I live in Malta and have bought from Crucial many times but wanted to save the hassle of waiting for the post and being in when it arrives etc etc.
It came from a perfectly reputable chain properly packaged.

MAT ALAN 14:46 31 Aug 09

Thanks for that, its a pity that memory modules seem to be faulty more times than they should be, (it is possible that its not) but swapping it would be the first fair test...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5