Is this a RAM, or a HD or a software problem?

aca 07:32 07 Oct 05

Helping a friend. They have good spec pc (P4) with XP Home (SP1).

They have been getting "unmountable boot error" on start up. Have used Microsoft info and the error code (000000032) indicates that boot files corrupt.

Can solve the problem by going to recovery and using chkdsk r p and then fixboot. This ckkdsk r did show that errors had been fixed. Then created a new bootable area.

However something strange going on as after doing this the problem repeats. Had to do the fix for the 2nd time last night.

My friend is relating the problem to when they try to run LOTR Battle for Middle Earth. When loading this now bombs back to desktop. Then a console comes up with with a reference to error writing to an address.

I have done the following:

1)Uninstalled/updated graphics driver
2)Run graphics benchmark

So think graphics card ok? DirectX looks ok also.

Will try to reinstall game.

I dont know if the above problems are connected. I cant see how game problem could be affecting the boot files. The other Microsoft solution is a data cable problem to hard drive but cant be this as PC has been fine for sometime and nothing changed.

Could dodgy RAM cause these problems?
Or could this be a sign that the hard drive on the way out?

Next step I think will be run memory test and swap in/out the RAM.

Advice appreciated.

Chegs ® 08:43 07 Oct 05

Have a look on HD makers website for a HD tester utility.(Maxtor drives have MaxBlast)Although my SATA drives passed the various MaxBlast tests,they both died within a week of each other.

Iffy RAM can cause all kinds of weird problems,on mine flickering monitor,crashing during ripping DVD's,BSOD/missing files during reinstalls were finally pinned down to an iffy stick of RAM.The RAM caused all these probs when installed with 2 other sticks,put the "iffy" stick into another PC(alone)and it works flawlessly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 07 Oct 05

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced