ram memory and xp reboot

TAMPICO 12:38 29 Jul 03

I have recently added 256mb ram. When I start windows XP up it will run for 5 to 10 mins. then reboot on it's own accord, after it has done this it works fine. If I remove the extra ram windows behaves itself. Does XP check the integrity of the ram, if so can I disable this feature

The Transporter 13:22 29 Jul 03

What is the new ram you are trying to install. As well as you existing stick? e.g. pc2700

What mobo are you using? Is it with the latest bios.

What is the processor your using?

:-)

Jester2K II 13:23 29 Jul 03

More info.

What was the old RAM?

What is the new RAM?

Did you just add it in?

What happens when the new RAM is in on its own?

Is the biggest stick in the Bank 0 (first slot)??

Jester2K II 13:17 30 Jul 03

Ram is pc2100 same as the old ram I have tried all different permutations, but the same thing happens

Have you tried just the new ram on its own??

The Transporter 13:19 30 Jul 03

From an email:-

"the ram is pc 2100 same as the old ram, mobo is DFI 70sr, cpu is a Athlon xp 1.8Ghz"

It seems the mobo is 266 chipset board

It could be these reasons. Even though the memory is the same. It isn't the same brand. Im assuming you are now using 512 mb in total of ram. Ideally you want these two sticks in slots 1 and 2 on your mobo. the two slots nearet your pcu.

Is this your mobo?
click here

See if there is an update? in the bios link on the left side.

Also try booting it up in safe mode with both sticks in, see if that helps.

Use google to find a program called DOcmemory. install it to a floppy and use it to check your ram.

Also can you boot up with just one stick in, old and new in seperately?

hope it helps

JHL 17:01 27 Sep 03

I have a similar problem to TAMPICO. I have a 550MHz machine which came with 128Mb RAM. I bought a further 128Mb and added to one of available slots.

System recognises RAM present at startup but as Windows 2000 loads up, it comes to a point where it automatically shuts down the machine and reboots. I can't bypass via Safe Mode and both sticks work independently in either of the slots.

How can I get the system, or is it Windows 2000, to recognise the extra RAM properly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…