RAM memory - how do I upgrade/

Dalglish2 10:01 06 Sep 09

Hi
Without ripping open the PC case, is there any way of finding out how to upgrade my 500Mb of RAM ie what type the RAM is, what the chances of compatibility with my motherboard any upgrade would be etc etc?
Many thanks
Sam

Technotiger 10:04 06 Sep 09

Do the Scan at click here

martjc 10:07 06 Sep 09

...to this site: click here
Click on Scan my computer. The scan tool will tell you what memory you have, what empty slots are there and suggest a memory upgrade.
The scan is usually very accurate and with Crucial, you know you are getting the right type of memory at reasonable prices.

martjc 10:08 06 Sep 09

...Techno beat me to it!

DieSse 11:30 06 Sep 09

Another method is to load down (free) Everest, and find what motherboard you have, and the specification of what's installed now.

click here

Whatever method you use - do not rely on it without looking inside the system - all the methods I've ever used can and do make mistakes. Don't forget you'll have to get in there to put new RAM in anyway - so treat it as a "trial run".

Do buy a known branded make, and don't try and mix different specifications of RAM, if you want a stable system with no (or at least a minimum!) of vague intermittent issues.

Dalglish2 16:27 06 Sep 09

thanks guys, great responses and has helped me.
I've costed up 1Gb of memory as follows
click here which at £23 sounds high - is this typical of the current price as I thought memory had come down to low levels?
Thanks

Technotiger 16:30 06 Sep 09

Sounds a bit expensive ... click here

Have you done a Google?

Anyway, just make sure that you get the correct type as shown by your Crucial scan.

DieSse 17:23 06 Sep 09

Can your motherboard run in dual-channel mode - if it does, you'll need a pair of matching modules to activate it. In dual-channel mode RAM runs noticeably faster.

I'll re-iterate my warning - for the best guarantee of a stable system, only use Grade1 RAM - this means from well-known brand names, with their own branded chips used, assembled and tested all by the same company.

This is an interesting read click here;forums06

Crucial/Micron, Kingston, Corsair, Hynix, Infineon, OCZ, Samsung are some (not all) of the best names to look for. I always used Kingston when building systems, and use Kingston in my own system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac