RAM Memory for Dell Dimension 8200 (11/02)

TOFF 10:16 13 Dec 03

Can anyone advise me where to buy RDRAM memory? My computer comes with it and, according to an outfit called Crucial, it seems that I am stuck with it. RDRAM seems to be much more expensive than other sorts. I have been to Dell's 'selector' and have found a baffling array of different modules (supplied by Kingston) , all looking to be much the same but priced quite differently. What should I be looking for? I have 2 RIMM of 128Mb each and would look to double that at least, or could I buy one of 512Mb, leaving one slot free?
As always, any advice gratefully received.

AndySD 11:10 13 Dec 03

click here but it looks like you need to know the front side bus (fsb) and more info on the ram you have now eg is it Ecc.... AIDA32 may tell you but it should be with the info sent to you with the pc. Can you tell us the fsb and is it Ecc ram in your pc.

TOFF 12:56 13 Dec 03

Andy

Thanks for your suggestion. i have installed Aida 32 and it tells me that i have 2 x Samsung RIMM module, RDRAM, 128Mb (4 devices, 32 banks),PC800 (400Mhz)

TOFF 13:12 13 Dec 03

Andy

Pressed the wrong button. To complete previous message, it is termed SS/Non ECC - what ever that means. Do I have to go back to Samsung for this or can i buy a generic module? If so, i notice that many of them seem now to be 800Mhz. Will i be able to mix and match?
BTW, the Dell site is not really that helpful.

A Cat Called George 13:47 13 Dec 03

Crucial are widely considered to be the best in the field of memory upgrading. If your motherboard requires RDRAM I am afraid you are stuck with it. You should also be aware that RIMMs have to fitted in pairs like the old SIMMs.

AndySD 14:00 13 Dec 03

Scan sell RIMMS and yes you need to buy in pairs click here

TOFF 23:48 13 Dec 03

Thanks very much all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…