RAM MEMORY

ramblerjohn 19:16 12 Feb 04

I am running windows 98se just been installed.
I have a problem with the ram memory i just recently had it up graded to 256 ram.
When i check it by going to
Control Panel
System
Performance
It shows System Resouces 36% this is while i'm in P C Advisor
Memory 224.0 MB Ram
File System 32 Bit
Virtual Memory 32 Bit
The trouble i get is that when i try to download a file i get a message computer is dangerously low on resources close an application.

I did not get this problem when the Ram was only 128
Is there some way of closing some application down any help would be appreciated

JIM 19:37 12 Feb 04

i could post a shorter reply,but this was an intresting long account.(well i think so) It covers most aspects on the System Resouces problem. :)

click here

xania 19:46 12 Feb 04

Your firest problem is that Windows hogs most available memory as its loads up and then doesn't bother to release it when its done. click here to solve this problem, although there are others on the market.

Next, if you still need to close down programs, its <Ctrl><Atl><Del> to bring up the list if running programs and you can close all except Systray & Explorer.

Billy911 19:55 12 Feb 04

First check that the new RAM has been recognised by the system:
1. RIGHT-click 'My Computer'
2. LEFT-click 'Properties'
3.'General' tab at the bottom it should say '262,144 KB RAM' or somewhere in that region.
If it doesn't then the memory is either the wrong type or has not been fitted correctly. Assuming that it is okay I would restart the computer as this refreshes the memory (wipes the slate clean, so to speak) then try again.

Another reason is that you may have a lot of programs running in the background that started up when the computer started:
1. Go to Start --> Run
2. Type MSCONFIG
3. This launches Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab (the tab at the far right).
4. This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Some startup programs are absolutely necessary, others are simply a waste of RAM.

The only startup items you absolutely need are:

ScanRegistry
TaskMonitor
SystemTray
LoadPowerProfile
Your antivirus program (trust me, you won't have a hard time figuring out which one is your antivirus program. It is pretty obvious.)
Make sure there is always a check mark next to all of these startup items.

If you don't see one or two these items in your list of startup items, that's cool. For example, some people may not have a LoadPowerProfile while others may have two. The big thing to remember is that you don't want to uncheck any of these files if you have them. The rest of the startup items, however, are completely optional. Experiment a bit in case you uncheck one only to find that you needed it.
5. Click on the OK button.
6. A message will pop up telling you that you must restart your computer before these changes will take effect. Click on "Yes" and your computer will automatically reboot.
7. That's it! Your computer should now boot faster and crash less (in theory).

There is also an explanation here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…