ram issue

arnie30uk 18:28 05 Dec 14

hi there i've got a memory issue. upgrading my friends laptop with extra ram, i used a company who confirmed that the memory i ordered is 100% compatible with the laptop. after intalling the ram the laptop wouldnt boot past the bios. the bios recognizes the upgraded ram though. tried each stick one at a time and still didnt work but if i use the old stick with one of the new ones it works and recognizes the new stick as well so am confused as to why one stick alone or both sticks together doesnt work, but one stick with the new stick will work??? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 05 Dec 14

May be a speed issue bios is set for the speed of the old stick and drops an added new one to the same level so it works

a new one on is own or with the other new is set (high)?

what speed is the new sticks? try setting BIOS to that speed and retry the sticks.

arnie30uk 19:00 05 Dec 14

hi fruit bat, quick question, how will i know what to set the speed to, forgive me but im not that great with this sort of thing

arnie30uk 19:06 05 Dec 14

also i just checked the bios and couldnt find any option to change ram speed at all :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 05 Dec 14

there should be an ID number on the RAM we can use that to determine the speed.

Memory settings will be under Advance settings

what BIOS Award? Phoenix?

arnie30uk 19:48 05 Dec 14

hi there this is the ram stick specs

2gb 204-pin sodimm ddr3 pc3-8500 1066mhz

the bios is " insydeh20 " rev 3.5

and the laptop is a toshiba satellite c650d-126 running win 7 64bit

the laptop orignially had 1gb installed but it wont work if i try putting the 2 x 2gb sticks in. also i can get it running if i put one new stick in with the original 1gb stick and it recognises and runs as a 3gb system. when i run it in this config and run cpu-z i have checked both sticks against each other and in terms of speeds and voltages they are both identical. thanks for your help so far

arnie30uk 20:10 05 Dec 14

gotta pop out now but thanks in advance for any other help you could offer and thanks for the advice so far, gonna have another go with it in the morning. ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…