RAM failure?

steved 09:46 02 Jan 04

A while ago I bought a new motherboard which included 256mb DDR-333 RAM (in a single stick), and recently decided to add an additional 256mb. When I added the new RAM the PC froze on startup whilst testing the memory (the actual message was "Memory Testi"!) - I rebooted and everything seemed fine.

Yesterday it did it again - I swopped the RAM around in the slots, reseated it etc, but (and here's the big problem) it also does it when the new RAM is removed leaving just the old RAM (or, come to that, when just the new RAM is used). Help! any ideas????

stevejd

anchor 10:08 02 Jan 04

I agree that is is unusual, but a couple of months ago I had 2 sticks of 256mb of DDR-RAM go on me at the same time. This was confirmed when a friend loaned me some RAM of the same type to confirm the fault.

The RAM was from Crucial, who exchanged it without problem. All well now.

Chaz10 10:25 02 Jan 04

Try this prog click here

steved 11:23 02 Jan 04

Thanks Anchor, I'll try returning the new RAM. Is it possible that a fault in the new RAM may have blown the old?

DieSse 12:49 02 Jan 04

I trust you switched off at the mains or removed the mains plug when moving the RAM modules around.

If not, you would probably damage them, as power is still on the motherboard if the system is simply powered down.

steved 16:26 02 Jan 04

Hmm - thats a point... I thought I did but I had to turn on and off so many times I did notice once that the mains was still switched on. Sounds like the new RAM went of it's own accord, then I trashed the old one. Ah well - thanks all for your help!

steved 18:50 03 Jan 04

Hmm - interestingly the old RAM has now started working again. Is there anything other than the actual RAM module that could be causing the problem - BIOS for example?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…