RAM Expansion

Slithe 11:35 13 Dec 05

Hi - After mentioning a RAM upgrade to either my PC or Laptop, I have been given the money for Xmas, on condition that I buy the upgrade.

I don't know which one would be most beneficial and would appreciate the advice:

My Laptop is a Tosh Equium A60 - and has 2x256mb RAM installed, minus 64MB shared RAM for graphics. The system runs XP Home and is used for Word Processing and the Internet.

My PC is a HP Pavillion a708.uk, and has 1x512MB RAM installed with a spare slot for another. Like the laptop it is mainly used for Word Processing and the occasional low-end game, as this one has a separate 64MB graphics card installed.

Both are used for almost the same thing, however, the laptop runs slower than the PC, and this can be a minor inconvenience when using on-line resources such as Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as if I don't buy the RAM, I loose the money...

rmcqua 11:40 13 Dec 05

I can't see you needing more than 512 minus 64 in the laptop if it's just used for word processing and general surfing. Stick it in the PC would be my choice, as maybe you will use it for more RAM demanding purposes in the future.

wky 11:56 13 Dec 05

Your laptop only has 2 slots, actually I think most do, but I may be wrong. So if you buy a stick of 512 for your laptop then it wont benefit that much as you have to remove one stick of 256.

Slithe 12:32 13 Dec 05

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…