RAM error puzzle

I am Spartacus 20:47 04 Dec 07

I recently bought 2 x 1GB sticks of Corsair RAM to add to the 2 x 1GB existing sticks I already have in my system. All 4 modules are exactly the same specification and have been supplied in matched pairs

Since I fitted it my system has been locking up every now and then requiring a reboot. When it does freeze it’s rarely under any serious load.

I ran MemTest86 a number of times adding and removing the RAM and trying different slots and eventually seemed to pin the problem down to the original RAM rather than the new so I took those out ready to RMA.

However I realised that I’d been running an old version of MemTest86 and when I ran the latest version it told me that every stick of RAM is faulty and the test then aborts after less than a minute.

I’m puzzled that the RAM seems to have a large number of errors yet I can still boot and run the PC for hours at a time.

Any suggestions what to do next?

I am Spartacus 01:15 05 Dec 07

I'm not very impressed with MemTest86. It proved no help in diagnosing which module was faulty and would barely run before crashing.

However the MS Windows Diagnostics Tool, although taking a long time to run did identify the faulty module.

Back to the supplier with an RMA now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…