RAM for Dell Dimension 8300 ??

CodeMeister 22:02 11 Nov 03

Dell are asking for £180(Ex VAT) for an additional 512MB RAM when you buy a new Dimension 8300.

They also charge an additional £50(Ex VAT) to have 1024MB as 2 512MB modules instead of 4 256MB modules.

When Dell's current memory promotion finishes, their RAM prices will be even more expensive.

Bearing this in mind, could you please tell me if there are any issues with buying RAM from someone like Crucial for these systems ?

Crucial are asking £64.621 for a 512MB module which is a huge difference in price and prompts me to wonder why.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted RAM from Crucial (or another third party) to their Dimension 8300

DAG88 22:29 11 Nov 03

crucial RAM has a very good reputation. All my RAM is third party except the original Dell 128MB but the third party works just as well. I would save ya money and buy from Crucial

DAG88 22:30 11 Nov 03

by the way, i fitted mine into a Dimension 4500S but it will make no difference, it will still work just as well.

rev.bem 22:37 11 Nov 03

I think you will be hard presssed to find anyone on this forum who has a bad word to say about Crucial.

There delivery service and warranty appear to be second to none.

I can't see any good reason to pay Dells prices.

Giggle n' Bits 23:27 11 Nov 03

if adding memory to a dell its better if possible to add the memory in 256MB Dims instead of a single 512MB DIMM then there will be a slight performance increase.

CodeMeister 09:56 12 Nov 03

Thanks guys that's very reassuring.

I just thought that at those over inflated prices, Dell's RAM must be better, made out of gold or something.

So Dell's RAM and Crucial's RAM will exist in the PC quite happily together and be perfectly compatible with the PC ?

Thanks

DAG88 15:10 12 Nov 03

yes, there will be no conflicts

CodeMeister 18:02 12 Nov 03

Thanks again guys.

I just don't know how Dell can justify such inflated prices for their RAM.

Looks like Crucial have got themselves another customer.

CodeMeister 09:39 13 Nov 03

Can anyone please tell me if it's essential that I add RAM to my Dell PC in Pairs ?

The PC is being delivered with two 256MB modules and I want to add a single 512MB module to these.

Would that be o.k. ?

ardvarc 12:40 13 Nov 03

See link and read the bottom warning. If you want to be certain then call for Crucial free advice on 0800 0130330

click here

CodeMeister 20:24 13 Nov 03

Thanks Ardvarc

Yes, I must admit that I had seen that warning myself but wasn't sure whether it meant that the RAM must be added in pairs to ensure that it operates in dual channel mode instead of single which would make the system a bit slower or if they meant that the RAM wouldn't work at all.

If it was the former then I was hoping to get one 512MB module form Dell and then one 512MB module from Crucial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…