Ram Conundrum

Jack_Mackrel 21:13 21 Jul 04

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to start by asking for some advice...

I've just bought some new ram for a medium age PC (P4 1.7, Intel 845 chipset - don't know motherboard make, 256 PC133 ram, Radeon 9600 128mb). The new ram I bought is 256mb of PC133 made by Extram. It's not a major make but no reason it shouldn't work.

Anyway, on boot up, with the new ram chip in, the quick ram check reads 786432k - which is odd for it should be a 256mb chip + my existing 256mb chip - this makes the new chip closer to 512mb.

Boot up continues fine and I get as far as my desktop, Icons start to appear then the start up applications, then... blue screen!

The message I get is 'A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028: c001409b in VxD VWM (01) + 0001309B.

I'm running Win98 se (though I'm getting XP tomorrow if it arrives). I have read that 98 only reads 512mb, so if the chip is labelled wrong (and is 512mb itself) and I put it in with my existing 256mb could this be the problem? I have actually tried the new chip on it's own and still the same (so maybe not).

My existing ram is labelled PC133U - 333
The new ram is simply PC133 Ram
(both have lots of other letters but I assume these are just factory/warehouse numbers.

Is there anything I can do or do I just send back and try again with more expensive brand name memory? Could it be something to do with the 'U' prefix that isn't on the new ram label?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm a bit of a novice and can just about handle putting a gfx card in!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 21 Jul 04

try crucial.com for info about memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…