Ram being eaten by Virus Checkers ?

KwaK 16:51 02 Feb 03

Hi,

After finally getting my system more stable I seem to now have another problem. I have Windows ME & 512mb ram.

I scanned my HD using McAfee VirusScan 7 which was doing its job until last week, as usual I started a scan and went to make a cuppa, came back 15 minutes or so later to a blue screen informing me of an error. I then rebooted and sat there this time and watched the ram slowly disappearing while the HD was being scanned. (Cacheman tells me how much ram I have left).

I tried this a few times, sometimes crashes before ram reaches zero sometimes after.

I uninstalled McAfee and tried AVG which I have used before on a different system but the same problem occured. AVG did just about finish a scan with no problems on one occassion so I'm presuming it isn't a virus.

Can anyone help?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:55 02 Feb 03

click here and d/l 'EndItAll. This excellent app. will close down all running progs to release memory. Rebooting the computer starts them again...Oh, and it is free.

G

KwaK 17:46 02 Feb 03

I am just downloading the file, took ages due to ie crashing (doesn't seem to like multiple windows open!).

I'll install it and give it a go but what is causing the ram to be eaten away as far as I can tell, only when a virus checker is operating?

KwaK 18:22 02 Feb 03

Hi,

I have installed the EndItAll program but it hasn't cured the problem, ram is still disappearing at a fairly quick rate :o(

algo mas 00:59 03 Feb 03

You may stillhave a programme running in the background.It is unusual for a virus checker to eat ram.Normally if you use SCANDISC or similar it keeps stopping and starting until you close allprogrammes.You should not really open any other windows when downloadoing a programme.I only have 327ram and have no problems.

Cordy13 01:06 03 Feb 03

Apologies to Gandalf, but you don't want EndItAll2 the original version is simpler! click here

KwaK 07:03 03 Feb 03

I have just downloaded the original EndItAll and closed everything down except for Explorer & Systray. Ran the Virus Checker but I still have the same problem :o(

I reloaded Cacheman before starting the checker though, just to keep an eye on the ram figure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac