RAM Advice

ThemePark 15:00 30 Oct 07

I have a rather old computer, that I also bought as used. It runs incredibly slow, so I have decided to go out and purchase some RAM.

Now, I want to get a type of RAM that is both compatible with my current computer, but that is also fairly new and will be useful for when I end up building a brand new computer hopefully soon.

I have in mind to buy 1 stick of 1 GB or 2 sticks of 512 MB, if my current computer can handle that much.

Currently my computer has 128 MB SDRAM, and the motherboard is an ASUS CUV4X 733 MhZ.

So I was hoping that someone could advice me on what type (not from what company) of RAM I should/could buy, i.e. DDR, DDR2 etc.

Technotiger 15:10 30 Oct 07

click here run the Scan on this link, this will tell you exactly what RAM you have and what RAM you could/should get.

howard64 15:10 30 Oct 07

if that pc is online go to crucial.com/uk and let the system work out what your pc has and what is compatable. If that pc is not online you can enter the mobo details and it will also tell you what you can use. Be aware that the type of ram used seems to change every 6 months or so and something from a year ago will take different memory to what is being used now. None of the different types of ram can be used with a different system. eg ddr has 184 pins i think and dd4 has 200+ they just will not fit.

howard64 15:12 30 Oct 07

sorry meant ddr2 not ddr4 - ddr3 is now starting to appear

ThemePark 15:26 30 Oct 07

Well, I ran the scan and I'm not quite sure what to make of the information.

At least it seems that my PC can at max handle 512 MB blocks, so I'll have to buy 2. And it can handle a maximum of 1.5 GB total, so that's good.

Now it says that "Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*".

So does that mean I can use any type of SDRAM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I've understood, the DDR types are also SDRAM, just subtypes so to speak. And I gather that the PC133 means a maximum of 133 MhZ?

umbongo(uk) 16:36 30 Oct 07

thts correct pc 133 mhz type

it goe,s
sdramm
ddrsdramm ddr = double data rate
ddr2sdram etc

your ram is going to be very expensive and not compatible for a new build ever!!!
pc 100 and 133 was phased out with the introduction of ddr(boards at this time had slots for either ) tht is now being phased out begrudingly by ddr2 witch in turn will be taken over by ddr3
but unlike pc100/133 ram the 3 above should be viable for longer
as old boards of high cpu spec used ddr and then the newer ones still used it so there is a vast market still out there for ddr but ddr2 is cheaper
so a new build should have ddr2 in mind for total upgrade

in my opinion youd be throwing money away on sdram

512mb of sdram £30.00 new
from cruicial more
click here

in earnest save your money and look toward slowley upgrading there are very cheap options out there in a £60.00 price bracket
#if you have an ms operating system on disc this is possibly a better option than a ram upgrade for current system
click here
click here
reason its micro atx and should fit in your case
make sure you have a 12 volt power connector check you have one its a 4 pin one on its own attached to the psu
has onboard job lot .for an upgrader its ideal as parts can be added later ,mainly grfx card
click here
even with this low end cpu you will see a massive leap in computer responsivness
i,d say spend a £5.00 little more and get
click here
click here
1gb ram fine for owt
total for all @ lowest £62.00 incl free delivery

just a suggestion!!

then all you have to do is upgrade psu later to a 24 pin
if you feel the systems sluggish as time goes on
first add a gfx card this will free up ram
change cpu if you feel like a faster one
add more ram if need must

anything you want to ask more about feel free to rattle my brain

ThemePark 17:26 30 Oct 07

So basically what you're saying is that no version of DDR (even DDR 1) will be compatible with my old computer?

umbongo(uk) 17:33 30 Oct 07

correct your board dosent support 184 pin ddr ram module,s or any other ddr offering
only

168 pin sdram

link to your board
click here

ThemePark 18:20 30 Oct 07

Okay, thank you everybody for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017