RAM

highside 13:05 PM 09 May 11

My HP Dual Core Laptop can accept 8GB RAM (presently 4GB with 2 GB per slot) How much of the 8GB would actually be used if I fit it? Thank you

spuds 13:16 PM 09 May 11

Depends on a number of factors. What is your operating system, are you into gaming, do you have many software applications working in the background etc etc.

Increased RAM can be very helpful, but it can also be overkill if there is no real need for it.

Most of my machines have 1GB/2GB max, which I find is more than adequate for my non-gaming but average needs.

jimv7 13:18 PM 09 May 11

3.25 for a 32bit system and all 8 for a 64bit system.

Woolwell 15:03 PM 09 May 11
  highside 15:05 PM 09 May 11

Thanks, Stupidly didnt mention its Win 7 64 bit, only reason (well important to me)is to make my Nikon Capture NX2 Imaging software a bit faster. Really needs all it can get especially as mainly for RAW files. As I understand it if, say 4GB is present only about 3 is actually available to end user? Just wondered about if 8 is in situ.

Woolwell 15:08 PM 09 May 11

With 64 bit then all of your 4Gb should be available unless any is taken up for graphics. It is only with 23 bit that the max is about 3.25 Gb.

Woolwell 15:13 PM 09 May 11

I suspect that increase of RAM will not make much difference as you only have a Pentium Dual Core T4300. But may be wrong others who process raw may be better to advise.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…