RAID setup from scratch?

staples printer cartridge 12:21 15 Oct 05

Have looked at other threads for Raid and I am not sure, so here goes: I currentl have 2 IDE drives; one for OS and the other for storage. I have just bought 2 SATA drives and want to set them up as RAID 0 and keep my IDE storage drive. If I have this right I should: Remove my existing OS drive and fit my two SATA drives; install Windows and set up RAID as I do this; will my storage IDE interfere with this process? This also gives me the comfort of having my existing OS drive in case it goes pear shaped? My mobo is here: click here. Any help would be great. Thanks

Klof Ron 13:33 15 Oct 05

You seem to have grasped the basic procedures OK. Don't forget to copy the SATA drivers off the mobo CD to a floppy for installation when Windows requests you to press F6 during installation. Personally I would get the newly installed Windows up and running on the RAID Sata drives before connecting the IDE hard drives. Good luck.

staples printer cartridge 18:13 15 Oct 05

I have put the CD in and the setup runs and I have the option of running raid drivers here, but i don't know which ones they are to copy to floppy. Any ideas what I should do?

staples printer cartridge 18:21 15 Oct 05

Sorry, used me noggin and went to the website. Think I got the right one! Thanks for the reassurance by the way.

staples printer cartridge 09:35 16 Oct 05

Don't know if I'll get a response as the thread seems dead, but I think I used the wrong drivers and now face the prospect of putting my old IDE drive back in to find the right driver (I am currently using my wifes laptop which has no floppy drive; this made me think, what about those pcs that do not have floppy drives. Is there no way of setting up RAID after installing Windows?

retep888 10:37 16 Oct 05

I am not familiar with your Mobo, but if you explore the Mobo CD, you'd find the Raid driver for the SATA drives or sometimes some Mobo manufacturer do provide a Raid driver on a separate floppy.

Do you know which Raid controller you're using, ie: Silicon Image or Promise?

You have to configure the Raid array in the bios first before installing the OS.

Pc without floppy ? Of course you can buy external ones if needed.

Here's something you might be interested to read:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…