Raid setup

Gandy 09:49 03 Jan 05

I've just invested in an MSI KT6 Delta mobo, which comes with 2 sata connectors for a raid array.
As this is my first foray into the world of Raid, I would appreciate some advice about the operation of a Raid array.
Whilst I have decided on raid 1 setup, there are aspects of raid I'm unsure of, i.e.
Do I put my os on IDE0 drive as usual?
Can or should I put my os on the raid array?
Do I have to purposely store things (programs, docs etc) on the Raid array?
In other words, the day to day mechanics of operating a system with Raid.
Any anecdotes and what's worked best appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 03 Jan 05

click here

LeadingMNMs 10:44 03 Jan 05

It shouldn't matter whether you put the OS on a non-Raid disk, however it makes sense to, since you have a complete copy of it that should be bootable should the first drive fail.

My understanding of Raid 1 is that when data is wrote to the first disk, it is also written to the second drive on the array automatically.

I believe that when you install XP (i assume) that there is an option to install drivers for the Raid. This needs to be done. If you've got the latest magazine then this details building a PC and goes over Raid, although fairly briefly.

Gandy 23:37 03 Jan 05

Well. I'm assuming that my new Raid array will appear as a third drive in Explorer (I have master and slave existing on IDE0), so I guess it boils down to a question of the best configuration.
Perhaps OS and apps on IDE0, and important files on Raid?
Or would it make sense to have a copy of the OS on Raid as well?
I was recently infected with a virus which rendered my system virtualy useless, so am looking for ways to cut any future DOS to a minimum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…