Raid main boards

tiggy 17:42 23 Jan 03
  tiggy 17:42 23 Jan 03

Q:- on some of the new boads comming out there is the chance to use raid on boad, my question is this, i have currently 3 h.drives, dvd and a scsi cdrw, i also have a few hard drives knocking about, can i still use the 3 hard drives on the 2 main controlers then use the raid part of the cad to run another 4 h/dives ( i have a full tower plenty of room and a 350 psu)
nobody can seem to help me, if i can not whats the point of me buying a card with it on???

jazzypop 17:56 23 Jan 03

The point of buying a RAID mobo is to use it to setup a RAID array.

If you want more IDE ports for extra HDDs, just buy a PCI card that has two (or more) IDE ports, and connect your hard drives to them.

DABS, and many other online retailers, sell them quite cheaply. You do not appear to need RAID for your purposes, so don't pay extra for it.

Rayuk 18:52 23 Jan 03

On some motherboards with onboard raid you can in fact instal hard drives on them to run independent of each other.
Which is the cheaper pci card or onboard raid??
[of course you can move pci card onto next pc]

misery 19:53 23 Jan 03

mobo supports rid then use it. However I'm no too sure that raid supports udma 33 and 66, they do normally support 100 & 133

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…