RAID configured hard disks - any way the check the

RWest 13:32 12 Nov 07

I've just bought a computer with 4 RAID configured hard disks - 4 x 500 GB (I'm taking no chances on storage). It's not the miror system; it's the sort where disk writes and reads are split between the disks - I presume data is read into a buffer and from there the disks have their own chips which handle the processing, so it looks like one disk to XP.

[I'm not using the RAID number - 0? 1? 4? - as there seems some ambiguity here.]

Does anyone know any way to check the disk set up? I have in my collection of CDs that came with this one that looks relevant, but I don't want to play about with the disks and change things that should be left unaltered.

johndrew 13:49 12 Nov 07

The easiest way is probably to look at the BIOS setup. If you have a manual for the motherboard details will be in it. If not you need to identify the motherboard (use something like Everest Home Free Edition click here) and download a copy from the manufactures` site.

A copy of the manual is always valuable for reference when problem solving, adding hardware, updating and other jobs.

brundle 13:49 12 Nov 07

Either in BIOS or a RAID software controller on the PC.

RWest 13:55 12 Nov 07

Ahah - the system info [right click 'my computer'] says there's an nVidia nForce RAID controller.

Johndrew, thanks, yep, the people who put the PC together included the motherboard manual, though I assumed RAID was somewhere else, attached both to the motherboard and the four disks.

Thanks brundle (again) [My Hanns G HG216D is still not perfect - I went to PC World to see what other PCs were like but they had hardly any bigger than 19". I just can't tell if a monitor with a digital video interface, rather than the VGA type adapter I have, would work better].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017