linguina 13:25 26 Jan 03

I am a firts start user when talking about RAID. I've just finished to build my first array (striping) and soon I started wondering how it works. Let me explain it better. When I boot the PC I can see all my HDDs in the right place but in windows I can only see the two HDDs that I just finished installing in the Array Administration Software, which the Motherboard comes with and not in explorer! Is that right? How am I supposed to use them, then? Do I need to format them (since they are brand new) and where can I do that?

Thanks for your time

linguina 15:23 26 Jan 03

I just finished to format the drives. Now I can see them in explorer but when I create an array with the software provided the 2 HDDs disappear from explorer. How am I supposed to access it, then?
Somebody, please....

Rayuk 15:52 26 Jan 03

What is your are you using the 2 drives as added storage or are you going to instal OS on them.
Have you installed the raid driver?
You should have instructions in your motherboard manual or extra raid users manual.

linguina 17:02 26 Jan 03

At the moment I am using them only as added storage but if I decide to get rid off my 13gb Fujutsu I'll install an OS on one of them.
The manual is not very helpfull cose it explains how to set up the raid (which I followed) but not how/what to do once I'm in explorer.
At the moment the situation is like this:
IDE1 HDD 13gb, (partitioned in C, F)
IDE2 master DVD slave CDRW,
IDE3 HDD 40gb, (D)
IDE4 HDD 40GB. (E)
In explorer I can see/use them all no problem. If I create an array using D and E after rebooting they would disappear leaving me with C and F which becomes D. If I open the software which I used to create the array I can see the array itself but I don't know how to acces it.

Rayuk 17:09 26 Jan 03

You have to fdisk and format the array after you have set it up.It should then show up as 1 x 80 Gb drive if you are using striped array.

linguina 18:59 26 Jan 03

You mean I should format the array? 80gb is a long way

Rayuk 19:06 26 Jan 03

80Gb is a lot yes but if you want it to work that is what has to be done.

Rayuk 19:09 26 Jan 03

80Gb is a lot yes but if you want it to work that is what has to be done.
You could partition it if you intend installing your os onto it.
1st partition for os
2nd partition for programmes
3rd 4th etc for storage[data/photos/music]thd options are yours.
If you then have a problem with your os and want to reinstal it[together with the programmes]you will still have your data photos music etc intact.

linguina 19:20 26 Jan 03

I don't want to sound suspicious but I never heard that you can partition an array of two HDD. I'm not saying that you can't but I want to double check it before formatting 80gb since I've done 3times 2X40 today getting nowhere, ya know...

Rayuk 19:24 26 Jan 03

You partition the drive first then format after you reboot.You can then just format the partitions as you need to use them.
I have 2 setups
1 using onboard raid controllers on MSI K7T266Pro with 2 partitions
2 using raid pci card partioned again into 3
I will see if I can find a couple of links for you

linguina 19:31 26 Jan 03

sounds good. It feels like I want to know more about it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…