Raid

gul 21:18 07 Jul 04

I am upgrading my PC and am using ASUS A7N8XE DELUXE motherboard with a single Maxtor STA hard drive.

With Maxblast I have formated the hard drive.

When installing the operating system with Win XP - the hard drive is not recognised.
Is there an option in BIOS to make the first boot option the STA drive. A preliminary look shows the boot option to be HD0, HD1, HD2, HD.

Will RAID work with an unequal STA and ATA hard drive of differnet sizes?

Chegs ® 22:18 07 Jul 04

During the 1st few seconds of the XP install sequence appears a caption at the bottom of the screen stating "Press F6 to install drivers" (which you should already have on a floppy)with my Gigabyte mobo(but different motherboards employ different methods so its not 100% sure to work on your mobo)I could set the SATA/ATA controllers on/off in BIOS,but the SATA controller is operated by selecting SCSI for 1st boot option.

sil_ver 01:47 08 Jul 04

I'm told RAID will only work on two identical drives

mrdsgs 07:54 08 Jul 04

you will need either 2 ide drives or 2 sata drives, not one of each ( or what i dio which is 2 of each !)

the 2 ide or sata drives do not need to be the same size but your raid array will be twice the size of your smallest drive if striping Raid 0.

Identical drives are preferable but not necessary.

In bios you need to enable sata and set sata to raid (rather than base). then set boot order to sata first. (I have a gigabyte board and the option is SATA/RAID/SCVSO boot order)

mrdsgs

mrdsgs 07:55 08 Jul 04

you will need either 2 ide drives or 2 sata drives, not one of each ( or what i dio which is 2 of each !)

the 2 ide or sata drives do not need to be the same size but your raid array will be twice the size of your smallest drive if striping Raid 0.

Identical drives are preferable but not necessary.

In bios you need to enable sata and set sata to raid (rather than base). then set boot order to sata first. (I have a gigabyte board and the option is SATA/RAID/SCSI boot order)

mrdsgs

jack 08:49 08 Jul 04

Yet another mentch of RAID
What is RAID ?

Still learning

j

Rigga 09:18 08 Jul 04

RAID explaination click here

Bowsprit 09:50 08 Jul 04

I have a post open about same problem at the moment and am searching for info that helps.I have found you can use one sata hdd on a suitable Asus mobo without getting involved with raid.You also have to press F6 and load drivers from floppy when installing any OS for hard disk to be recognized.Not sure about how you get drive to show up in bios in first place and also the boot order.

son-of-a-gun 13:58 08 Jul 04

Boot order on my SATA / RAID

1st Floppy disk
2nd DVD (Mine or CD whichever is the master)
3rd BBs-0 (RAID :WDC)
Try other boot devices Yes

This is for Dual SATA IE This shows up in my computer as two independant SATA hard drives

son-of-a-gun 13:58 08 Jul 04

Boot order on my SATA / RAID

1st Floppy disk
2nd DVD (Mine or CD whichever is the master)
3rd BBs-0 (RAID :WDC)
Try other boot devices Yes

This is for Dual SATA IE This shows up in my computer as two independant SATA hard drives

son-of-a-gun 22:22 08 Jul 04

Sorry I posted twice, must be something to do with the Dual SATA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…