Raid

OhBeardedOne 12:07 17 Jun 04

Ok so I plead ignorance. Looking to buy a new PC later in the year to use for just about everything, including copying old video tapes to dvd and editing digital video. I guess I'm looking at a machine with two decent sized hard disks.
I keep reading about "raid" and don't have the faintest idea what it is all about. Do I want it, do I want 0 or 1, etc etc. ?

Tog 13:32 17 Jun 04

There are various types of RAID arrays but it really boils down to 2 options RAID for speed or RAID for protection of data.

Option one accesses the disks alternately so the lag time created by getting the disks attention, sending control signals etc overlaps the read write time on the other disk(s). This is used for speed.

Option two uses various methods to write your data to multiple disks so that if one disk crashes, the data can be rebuilt from what's left on the still working disks.

There are a variety of types which mix'n'match the above. I can't remember off the top of my balding head what is called what but I'm sure a Google will answer that question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…