RAID 1 - worth it?

wotbus@ 17:25 07 Aug 07

I have the possibility but was wondering if it was really worth it in terms of performance increase.
Thanks in advance.

bremner 17:51 07 Aug 07

Raid 1 is morriring - the data is written identically on both disks so performance is slower.

Raid 0 is stripping - the data is written tin blocks to alternative disks and is faster. But NO redundancy so loose 1 disk and you loose all your data.

Will you notice the increase in speed - probably not.

bremner 17:51 07 Aug 07

Raid 1 is morriring??????

Raid 1 is mirroring

wotbus@ 18:21 07 Aug 07

I have read that Writing data stays the same but Access is speeded up and thus a performance increase. I could try it I suppose but I was wondering if anyone had already tried it would care to comment before I go through what may turn out to be a waste of time.

bremner 18:28 07 Aug 07

Have a read click here

wotbus@ 18:30 07 Aug 07

I have read quite a bit bremner, thanks for the link, but what I was really after is "has anyone tried it and if so, did it work for them".

bremner 18:37 07 Aug 07

I have machines running single disks, RAID 0, RAID1 and RAID 5. I use them for multiple business and personal purposes; but for none for moving and editing large quantities of video.

I can honestly say that I have not experienced any real performance improvement in RAID 0 or RAID 5 over the single disk.

wotbus@ 18:45 07 Aug 07

Some interesting, if a bit dated, comparison charts here:
click here
but any differences are in m/s or tenths of m/s!
So why do all the gamers go RAID then, what have I missed?

wotbus@ 19:07 07 Aug 07

Interesting para from your link bremner -
"Glancing at the figures (above) reveals that while there are differences, they are for all intents and purposes trivial. One simply will not notice the difference in speed in subjective use. Attempts to specifically procure the earlier 00FLA0 revision would likely prove frustrating and fruitless. We would not sweat over the difference".
I have done quite a bit of audio/video editing in the past and never thought "I wish this was a bit faster..."sort of thing, so I may just stick with my rig as it is - with 2 identical 250G SATA WD Caviars - one as C and the other as F.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac