RAID 0 and video editing. HELP!

geezore 15:17 05 Nov 04

Hello all,

Any advice on whether it is worth it to get 2 HDDs in my laptop with RAID 0? I mainly want to use the machine to do video-editing from mini DV and processing photos, music etc.

Just ordered the Rock Quaddra 3.4 laptop with X-glass and two 60GB disks. Can't wait to get it!

I need to know if the increased speed (upto 30%) according to some experts) will balance out with the increased risk of HDD failure (according to some other experts!)

So should I go with Raid 0 (striping etc) or no RAID at all and just use the 2nd HDD if I need it, as a back up?

Any advice?

G

Spanglish 15:25 05 Nov 04

I suggest that one of the HD's is for the OS the other for the storage of the video files.
The set up that seems to be recommended for video editing etc.
I can not comment on the RAID as I do not have it
Good Luck.
Brian

groundhog 07:52 06 Nov 04

If you need very fast disk access ie. capturing video then a striped raid is the answer, with short bursts of data to each drive. however using a striped raid setup has it's downside Lose one drive & you lose all your data.

Once you've captured your video use an external hdd for longer term storage. Once it's in digital format there is no lose of quality when moving your data.

Then back to striped raid when editing

mrdsgs 09:05 06 Nov 04

the other benefit of a base setup in your situation is that you could ghost the os hd to the other hd once you have everything set up. a reinstall would then not be needed if/when something stops working.

If you go with Raid 0 you could always ghost externally. In my experince, the alleged increase in performance does not justify the chance of either disk failing and therefore losing everything.

In a desktop my solution is SATA raid as well but perhaps this is overkill !!!

mrdsgs

matt-few 23:14 08 Nov 04

I am changing my computer and have asked for a 80gb S-ATA boot drive and 2x200gb S-ATA (mirrored), but have been told the motherboard only supports IDE drives on Raid (so to go for 2x200gb IDE hdd mirrored. Would I notice much difference than If I was using S-ATA on raid?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5