Raid 0 plus 1...what does it mean?

Alkemist 21:14 12 Nov 09

Hi...

I'm looking at buying one of the PC's reviewed in the mag and see a lot advertised as Raid 0 plus 1. I assume it's not Raid 5 otherwise the review would say? What is Raid 0 plus 1?

I'm looking at the Eclipse Titan but am not happy with pure Raid 0 and am thinking of asking them for a system that has this Raid 0 plus 1...or Raid 5.

Can anyone advise me please?

Cheers...

bobbybowls 21:42 12 Nov 09
  Alkemist 22:36 12 Nov 09

Think I confused matters by saying plus 1

What I meant was a system that has 3 hard drives, 2 in Raid 0 and a third hard drive for "backing up".

What I was wanting to know is how these systems are set up, ie, is it Raid 0 and you have to manually back up yourself or would it be Raid 5?

I didn't even realise there was something called Raid 0 +1...lol..

Cheers..A

MAT ALAN 22:57 12 Nov 09

Level 0+1 -- A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks...

click here

Not the best idea to buy a PC with a raid array if you have no idea how to use it...

Forum Editor 22:58 12 Nov 09

RAID 0+1 is a striped data set - RAID 0 - which is then mirrored - RAID 1. A RAID 0+1 array needs a minimum of four drives; two of them hold the striped data, the other two mirror the first pair.

Alkemist 23:08 12 Nov 09

Lol...you guys are getting a bit technical for me.

I'm not looking to fiddle with it or understand it. All I'm after is speed and security of data.

The review for the Chillblast Fusion Payload describes 3 HD, 2 in Raid 0 with the third for backup.

What exactly does this mean?

We only have 3 HD's so it can't be 0+1.

Is this simply Raid 0 with 2 drives and then a third drive sitting there doing nothing except waiting for the user to tell the system to backup?

Am I confusing things here without realsiing it? Please dumb it down for me guys :o)

Cheers...A

MAT ALAN 23:21 12 Nov 09

speed of data can come from a good spec PC with max amount of memory and a decent chipset.

As far as backup goes a second internal or external HDD is the simplest method...

I am not really familiar with raid but here goes...

RAID 1
2 HDD mirrored with exactly the same on each, you pull info from both hence faster response.

third HDD exactly what it says it is for BACKUP, one of your raid drives gets corrupt you format drive put on backup you back where you started...
RAID 0
(also known as a stripe set or striped volume) splits data evenly across two or more disks ..

I THINK...

Raid 0 is fastest...
Raid 1 is safest....
Raid 5 is all around good but needs more drives(3 and up) and can be slower with onboard controllers

Alkemist 08:30 13 Nov 09

Excellent stuff...

I think I understand enough to ask the correct questions of Chillblast :o)

I'm sure with me waving around a credit card they'll be willing to advise on a custom system when I explain what I'm looking for. Of course, if they're not, then I'm not sure they're the people for me..lol..

I'm going to ask them to shove in 3 HD's and then ask what they believe the performance difference would be between Raid 0 with backup drive (Windows Ultimate include backup) and a Raid 5 system.

To be honest, I actually prefer the idea of Raid 0 with a backup HD rather than Raid 5, I kind of feel I have more control.

Thanks everyone...I'll not tick the question answered box just yet, someone else might wish to comment? I think Mat broke it down for me nicely though.

Cheers...A

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…